18.2061, Jobs: English & Applied Linguistics: Instructor, RWTH Aachen University

Mon Jul 9 14:03:49 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2061. Mon Jul 09 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2061, Jobs: English & Applied Linguistics: Instructor, RWTH Aachen University

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 09-Jul-2007
From: Prof. Dr. Paul Georg Meyer < meyer at anglistik.rwth-aachen.de >
Subject: English & Applied Linguistics: Instructor, Rheinisch-Westfälische Technische Hochschule (RWTH) Aachen University, Germany

Date: Mon, 09 Jul 2007 10:00:06
From: Prof. Dr. Paul Georg Meyer < meyer at anglistik.rwth-aachen.de >

University or Organization: RWTH Aachen University
Department: English Department / Institut für Anglistik
Web Address: http://www.anglistik.rwth-aachen.de/

Job Rank: Instructor

Specialty Areas: Applied Linguistics; Practical Language Courses

Required Language(s): English (eng)
                      German, Standard (deu)

The following position at the Department of English will soon become vacant and
is to be filled by October 1, 2007.

Instructor for English language practice (teaching load: 16 hours per week;
workload: approx. 40 hours per week).  Remuneration according to the former BAT
IIa salary scale. The contract for the position is limited to two years in the
first instance and can possibly be extended.

You are a native speaker of English and preferably have completed your academic
training within the North American or British university system, majoring in a
language studies subject which you have taken to at least Master's level.
Preferably you will also have a formal TEFL qualification, or you will at least
have had work experience in the field.  Even though you will naturally use
English as the medium of instruction for classes here, we do expect you to have
a working knowledge of German, sufficient to function in communicative terms
within the German-speaking university environment and to handle administrative
matters independently.

The main teaching goal in your work here will be to improve the English-language
competence and performance of students in our English Studies program, but also
within the general BA program.  It is quite conceivable that you might, from
time to time, also be asked to give classes on background studies or cultural
studies (e.g., American life and institutions).  Beyond that, we will expect you
to be willing to participate in the further development and improvement of our
evaluation of tests, the administration of academic services within the teaching
field and the undertaking of further cultural activities within the Department.

The University is seeking to increase the ratio of women on the non-professorial
academic staff and applications from women are therefore very welcome.
Applications from suitably qualified candidates with severe disability are
particularly welcome.  Information on the vacancy is available from Professor
Dr. Meyer.

Aachen (aka Aix-la-Chapelle) is a historic German city located on the border to
Belgium and The Netherlands, in a setting which is very attractive in both
scenic and cultural terms.

Application Deadline: 01-Aug-2007 (Open until filled)

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Prof. Dr. Paul Georg Meyer
	RWTH Aachen, Institut für Anglistik III
	Templergraben 55