18.2114, Jobs: Gen Ling & Discourse Analysis: Linguist/Discourse Analyst, H5

Fri Jul 13 13:33:07 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2114. Fri Jul 13 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2114, Jobs: Gen Ling & Discourse Analysis: Linguist/Discourse Analyst, H5

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 13-Jul-2007
From: Karen Baumer < kbaumer at h5technologies.com >
Subject: General Linguistics & Discourse Analysis: Linguist/Discourse Analyst, H5 Asia Pacific, Mumbai, India

Date: Fri, 13 Jul 2007 09:30:37
From: Karen Baumer < kbaumer at h5technologies.com >

Department: Discourse Analysis Group
Web Address: http://www.h5asiapacific.com

Specialty Areas: Discourse Analysis; General Linguistics

H5 consults with Fortune 500 companies and their law firms to automate the
classification and categorization of millions of pages of documents for
litigation and document retention purposes. The combination of H5's
patented technology with advanced linguistic analysis has enabled us to
consistently outperform alternative approaches to these services on price,
quality, and speed. Our Professional Services Group consults with litigants
and their legal teams to devise a classification scheme, and then trains
our patented software engine to automatically classify documents in the
collection accordingly.

At H5, we are passionate about turning cutting edge technology into
commercially viable, high quality products and services. We promote a
culture that stimulates and challenges the intellect of each of our team
members while striving for constant improvement in everything we do. We
value individual innovation while nurturing a strong team-oriented
environment. This is an excellent opportunity to participate in the high
growth information risk-management industry, which focuses on addressing
critical legal risks for some of the world's largest corporations and law
firms.

As a Linguist at H5 Asia Pacific in Mumbai, you will be working as part of
a transnational team (based in San Francisco, California) to linguistically
model the concepts that are relevant to our clients' needs.  New hires will
report to a local team leader and, with experience, will have the
opportunity to advance to leadership positions.

Primary Responsibilities:
-  Analyzing linguistic data in order to form and test hypotheses about a
community's use of language
-  Researching large document collections for linguistic patterns
-  Constructing linguistic models
-  Rapidly developing an understanding of unfamiliar subject matter areas
-  Reading a wide variety of documents and synthesizing large amounts of
information into a coherent picture

Key Competencies:
-  Aptitude for recognizing and analyzing syntactic and semantic
relationships in English texts
-  A keen eye for detail, precise thinking, and the ability to make subtle
analytical judgments
-  Strong organizational skills
-  Effective self-management and self-discipline, including the ability to
maintain focus for extended periods of time, prioritize among competing
tasks, and meet project production targets and completion deadlines
-  Ability to work individually and as part of a team with diverse backgrounds

Required Qualifications:
-  University degree in Linguistics, English, Comparative Literature, or a
similar field
-  Native or near-native fluency in both spoken and written English
-  Basic computer knowledge

Desirable Qualifications:
-  Proficiency with Microsoft Office applications, including Word, Excel,
and Outlook
-  Prior experience working in a corporate office environment
-  Strong leadership and/or mentoring skills
-  Experience applying linguistic expertise to real language data

Application Deadline: 31-Aug-2007

Email Address for Applications: dajob at h5asiapacific.com

Contact Information:
	Karen Baumer