18.2214, Disc: Literary Analysis in Non-native Language

Mon Jul 23 18:30:48 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2214. Mon Jul 23 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2214, Disc: Literary Analysis in Non-native Language

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 22-Jul-2007
From: nayyer chandella < chandella5 at yahoo.com >
Subject: Literary Analysis in Non-native Language

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 14:29:31
From: nayyer chandella [chandella5 at yahoo.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2214.html&submissionid=151982&topicid=5&msgnumber=1

All literary texts raise problems of interpretation. That is all the more
true when these texts come from a foreign culture and have obviously not
been written for us. The question is: how can we determine when our
understanding of a literary work stops? There always seems to be a gap that
cannot be bridged, a kernel that will always resist us. What is the exact
nature of the foreign referents, of modes of symbolization we are not
familiar with, of a memory which is not ours? It is commonly accepted that,
even though mankind is one, cultures are irretrievably divided. Can a
foreign writer tell us something that will be relevant for us about
ourselves, the others, the world the divine, etc.? The problem clearly also
has pedagogical consequences, especially for students who study literary
works written in a foreign language.

Linguistic Field(s): Ling & Literature