18.2207, Diss: Disc Analysis/Socioling/Translation: Leonardi: 'Gender and Id...'

Mon Jul 23 15:43:24 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2207. Mon Jul 23 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2207, Diss: Disc Analysis/Socioling/Translation: Leonardi: 'Gender and Id...'

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Hunter Lockwood <hunter at linguistlist.org>

Date: 22-Jul-2007
From: Vanessa Leonardi < vanessalr at email.it >
Subject: Gender and Ideology in Translation: Do women and men translate differently? A contrastive investigation of translations from Italian into English

Date: Mon, 23 Jul 2007 11:42:00
From: Vanessa Leonardi [vanessalr at email.it]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2207.html&submissionid=151981&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of Leeds
Program: Department of Italian Studies
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2004

Author: Vanessa Leonardi

Dissertation Title: Gender and Ideology in Translation: Do women and men
translate differently? A contrastive investigation of
translations from Italian into English

Linguistic Field(s): Discourse Analysis
                     Sociolinguistics
                     Translation

Subject Language(s): English (eng)
                     Italian (ita)

Dissertation Director(s):
Brian Richardson

Dissertation Abstract:

The aim of my thesis is to analyse and evaluate what problems may arise
from systematic ideology-driven shifts in the translation process. The
issue of ideology is linked to that of language and power and thus, it
legitimates a linguistic analysis. Recent research in the field of
sociolinguistics and other related linguistic branches has shown that women
and men speak differently. The assumption in my thesis, or my hypothesis,
is that if they are said to speak differently, then they are also likely to
write and translate differently and possibly for the same ideological
reasons. This paper seeks to show how my comparative analysis of Italian
feminist writers translated by English male and female translators will be
carried out within the framework of the field of translation studies and
comparative literature.

My thesis is divided into two parts. In part I, the theory and methodology
are worked out. Addressing a number of topics and issues coming up in an
investigation of the kind outlined here, this part is meant as a
theoretical framework not only for the present study, but also for similar
future research aimed at covering a broader range of text types and
language pairs. In part II, the main hypothesis of this study is
investigated by looking at and comparing a selection of Italian fictional
texts and their translations into English. Founded on the theoretical
discussion, the description of ideology and sexism in both Italian and
English as well as the description of Italian-English contrasts and the
linguistic and extralinguistic frameworks for analysis worked out in Part
I, a detailed comparison of the source and target language versions of
eight books is performed. The results will show whether the hypothesis
formulated above can be verified at corpus level and whether more
differentiated conclusions can be drawn. Throughout the practical analysis
the strategies employed by the translators, the motivation underlying their
choices and obstacles in translation, are discussed.