18.2239, Sum: Intonation & Musical Melody

Wed Jul 25 20:21:06 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2239. Wed Jul 25 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2239, Sum: Intonation & Musical Melody

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-Jul-2007
From: Aniruddh Patel < apatel at nsi.edu >
Subject: Intonation & Musical Melody

Date: Wed, 25 Jul 2007 16:20:14
From: Aniruddh Patel [apatel at nsi.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2239.html&submissionid=151923&topicid=10&msgnumber=1

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 18.1907

Dear linguists,

Thanks very much to those who responded to my recent query about prior
research on relationship between the speech  intonation contours of song
lyrics (when spoken as text) and the musical  melody to which those lyrics
were set in song.  There has been a fair amount of work on this question in
tone languages, but we are looking for research on intonation languages,
especially  English and French.

Based on the four responses received, it appears that little work has been
done on this topic, and no empirical work at all.

Steven Schaufele fcosw5 at mail.scu.edu.tw recommended looking at  recitatives
in 18th-century Italian opera, especially of some of the dialogues and
private monologues/asides, in Mozart's "Marriage of Figaro", where the
musical line follows the normal rhythm & intonation of what the spoken
Italian would be rather closely.

Leigh VanHandel lvh at msu.edu noted thought that only a couple of older
studies have looked at this issue, using selected phrases from one or two
songs at best.

Hugo Quene hugo.quene at let.uu.nl pointed me to this article on speech-music
relations in a tone language: J. Baart (2004). Tone and song in Kalam
Kohistani (Pakistan).
In: H. Quene & V.J. van Heuven, eds. (2004). On Speech and Language:
Studies for Sieb G. Nooteboom. Utrecht: Netherlands Graduate School of
Linguistics. LOT Occasional Series; 2. ISBN 90-76864-53-5.

http://lotos.library.uu.nl/publish/articles/000102/bookpart.pdf

Finally, Edda Leopold leopold at mt.haw-hamburg.de commented that he did
empirical work on F0- recognition on German in his diploma-thesis, and got
the impression that theme-rheme relation the text is reflected in a kind of
dominant-tonic relation in the prosody.

Regards,
Ani Patel

Linguistic Field(s): Phonology