18.2251, Jobs: English & Comp Ling: Voice User Interface Designer, Nuance

Fri Jul 27 15:24:43 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2251. Fri Jul 27 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2251, Jobs: English & Comp Ling: Voice User Interface Designer, Nuance

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-Jul-2007
From: Deanna Roe < deanna.roe at nuance.com >
Subject: English & Computational Linguistics: Voice User Interface Designer, Nuance Communications, UK

Date: Fri, 27 Jul 2007 11:23:13
From: Deanna Roe [deanna.roe at nuance.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2251.html&submissionid=151221&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

Department: Professional Services
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

As a Design Engineer, you will support multiple Design Leaders, creating a
successful experience in this new medium for tens of thousands of callers
each day.  Within a framework laid out by a Design Leader, you may design
component dialogs for callers to accomplish specific tasks, or you may
specify fallback and error - recovery behavior based on human-to-human
etiquette, yet meant to maximize outcomes in the automated system.  In
performing these tasks, you will apply industry-leading standards for user
engagement, expert knowledge of speech recognition, synthesis, and dialog
technology, and professional intuition about what it takes to actively
engage a user and build a reciprocal sense of collaboration within a single
phone call.  You will need to move quickly and easily from one engagement
to the next, be comfortable multi-tasking, and be able to adapt your sense
of what's best to a variety of team philosophies.

Responsibilities:
-  Under the direction of Design Leaders and Professional Services Managers:
* Contribute to effective speech user interface designs, specifying call
flow, dialogs, and prompts
* Ensure the integrity of our specifications: modifying them to satisfy
evolving client requirements; detailing recognizer & dialog manager
behavior; and coordinating visual, detail, and conversational views on
these specifications
* Assist in implementing these designs, including interacting with
developers, directing voice talents, processing audio, and QA'ing prompt
inventories and applications
* Define, organize, execute, and report on Usability Tests for a wide
variety of applications
* Analyze performance of the user interface and recommend specific changes
to improve caller satisfaction and transaction completion.
* Implement desirable design changes discovered in usability and in the field
_ Use your experience on your specific projects to augment our evolving
body of best practices.
_ The ability to create and manage large complicated documents with
precision and style.
-  Pro-actively manage your billable time, to optimize your availability
for multiple projects

Who you are:
You must supply the following credentials:
-  BS or equivalent experience in human factors engineering, product
interface design, cognitive science, experimental psychology, technical
writing, or a similar degree
-  Either a Master's degree in Human Factors/HCI, technical writing, solid
industry experience in user-centered design or data analysis
-  Native-level English fluency
-  Experience in usability testing
-  Ability to travel
-  Creativity and a sense of fun
-  Be able to actively participate as an individual contributor, but be
comfortable working under the direction of a Design Leader
-  Strong Microsoft Windows skills, including MS Office

Strong candidates will also have the following:
-  Professional or college-level experience with speech recognition
software and/or involving telephony
-  Experience with Natural Language speech user interface design
-  Demonstrable audio engineering experience and flair
-  Professional writing experience
-  Experience working in a recording studio, as or with professional voice
talent
-  Programming skills in Perl and/or VB

Offer:
-  A challenging position at international level in a global company,
offering real development opportunities.
-  Full time, located in our United Kingdom Office.
-  The compensation package is in line with the function responsibilities.

Application Deadline: 12-Dec-2007

Email Address for Applications: deanna.roe at nuance.com

Contact Information:
	Deanna Roe