18.2259, Jobs: Comp Ling: Comp Linguist for Machine Translation, SDL

Sat Jul 28 18:08:19 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2259. Sat Jul 28 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2259, Jobs: Comp Ling: Comp Linguist for Machine Translation, SDL

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 27-Jul-2007
From: Jay Marciano < jaymarciano at sdl.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Computational Linguist for Machine Translation, SDL International, Nashua, NH, US

Date: Sat, 28 Jul 2007 14:05:43
From: Jay Marciano [jaymarciano at sdl.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2259.html&submissionid=152414&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

Web Address: http://www.sdl.com

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; Machine Translation

Required Language(s): Danish (dan)
                      Dutch (nld)
                      English (eng)
                      Finnish (fin)

We are looking for a computational linguist to join the development team
for SDL International's automated translation technology. This linguist
will join a small, highly motivated team that works with passion, patience,
and lots of smarts on continually improving a leading machine-translation
technology.

SDL International is the leader in global information management (GIM)
solutions that empower organizations to accelerate the delivery of
high-quality multilingual content to global markets. Its enterprise
software and services integrate with existing business systems to manage
global information from authoring to publication and throughout the
distributed localization supply chain.

This opening is located in SDL's Nashua, NH, office. (Nashua is in southern
New Hampshire, about one hour north of Boston by car.) We are not seeking
people to work remotely at this time.

Successful candidates must be fully authorized to work in the US and will
meet the following requirements:

-  Minimum of a Bachelor's Degree in modern foreign languages, linguistics,
or computational linguistics; Master's or PhD preferred.
-  Native or near-native capability in English;
-  Exceptional fluency in at least one of the following languages: Danish,
Dutch, or Finnish,
-  Proficiency in German, Italian, Portuguese, French, or Spanish is a
definite plus.
-  Excellent general computer literacy;
-  Programming skills (knowledge of Perl, Prolog, or C++);
-  Experience with commercial machine-translation systems and other
translation tools;
-  Experience in grammar and lexicon development;
-  Familiarity with linguistic resources (corpora, grammars, parsers, etc.);
-  Detail-oriented and organized;
-  Excellent communication skills

We offer competitive salary, a strong benefits package, and a great working
environment.

If your skills and experience match our requirements and if you like the
idea of working on a technology that reaches millions of people and is
helping to redefine an industry, then this could be the job for you.

Send a cover letter and your CV to the email address listed below. (Don't
worry about the hotmail address: your application will reach the right
people at SDL.)

Application Deadline: 15-Sep-2007

Email Address for Applications: machinetranslation at hotmail.com

Contact Information: