18.2290, Jobs: Psycholinguistics: Asst Prof, University of Victoria

Tue Jul 31 20:50:35 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2290. Tue Jul 31 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2290, Jobs: Psycholinguistics: Asst Prof, University of Victoria

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 30-Jul-2007
From: Gretchen McCulloch < gmoyer at uvic.ca >
Subject: Psycholinguistics: Asst Prof, University of Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

Date: Tue, 31 Jul 2007 16:49:18
From: Gretchen McCulloch [gmoyer at uvic.ca]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2290.html&submissionid=152587&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Victoria
Department: Department of Linguistics
Web Address: http://www.uvic.ca/ling/

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Psycholinguistics

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Victoria invites
applications for a tenure-track Assistant Professor position in
experimental psycholinguistics, effective 1 July 2008. By the time of
appointment applicants are expected to have a PhD in Linguistics (or
Psychology) with a specialization in experimental psycholinguistics
(preferred sub-specializations include first and/or second language
acquisition, syntactic development, sentence/discourse processing, or
speech perception and production). We are seeking candidates with an
excellent record of scholarly achievement and a commitment to excellence in
undergraduate and graduate teaching.

The responsibilities of this position include MA and PhD student
supervision and the teaching of psycholinguistics in our undergraduate and
graduate programs. Applicants should be able to teach experimental methods
for language research, including statistics. Our department has particular
strengths in linguistic description, speech production and perception,
second language and applied linguistics research, community-based research,
and languages of the Pacific Rim, including Asian and North American
languages. We seek an individual with the ability to contribute strongly to
the research profile of the Department and its administrative functions.
Collaborative, interdisciplinary research, teaching, and program
development are also encouraged.

Applicants should send, in hard copy, a letter of application, curriculum
vitae, 2-4 publication samples, copies of teaching evaluations, and the
names and e-mail addresses of three referees to: Dr Leslie Saxon, Chair, at
the address listed below.

Information about the Department of Linguistics and its programs can be
found on the Department's website listed above.

The University of Victoria is one of Canada's most vigorous comprehensive
universities. The Department of Linguistics has two phonetics labs (one
under development under a Canada Foundation for Innovation grant) and the
services of a full-time programmer-consultant.

The University of Victoria is an equity employer and encourages
applications from women, persons with disabilities, visible minorities,
Aboriginal Peoples, people of all sexual orientations and genders, and
others who may contribute to the further diversification of the University.

All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply; however, in accordance
with Canadian Immigration requirements, Canadians and permanent residents
will be given priority.

Application Deadline: 20-Nov-2007
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Dr. Leslie Saxon