18.1675, Qs: Bound Morphemes

Fri Jun 1 17:47:13 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1675. Fri Jun 01 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1675, Qs: Bound Morphemes

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Kevin Burrows <kevin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 30-May-2007
From: Ross Jones < rossjones12 at optusnet.com.au >
Subject: Bound Morphemes

Date: Fri, 01 Jun 2007 13:46:18
From: Ross Jones < rossjones12 at optusnet.com.au >

Do bound morphemes have to be affixed or hyphenated, or can they be written
as free forms?

Boko has some compound verbs where the nominal object does not occur
without the verb root and which may be possessed.
Example 1   (I have omitted the tones)
ma                    a              oo-kpa
1s.Perf.pr 3s.inam.pr    spoil-give.Perf
I spoilt it.

There is no 3s.inam.pr in the language, so the 'a' here can only be
interpreted as a possessive pronoun.

Example 2
'o 'cry' is a noun. (glottal stop plus open o with high tone)
'oo-lo 'to cry' is a compound verb. (aspectual tone changes occur on the
verb root 'lo'
'o gbaa do 'to cry aloud' is a compound verb with an adjective in the NP
object.
bee 'o 'o~ ma do 'for this I cried' (this-cry-then-I-sounded)
ale a 'oo-lo 'she is crying about it' (3s.Prog 3s.inam cry)

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology