18.1697, Disc: Tones and Genes: Scientific American (2)

Mon Jun 4 18:14:18 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1697. Mon Jun 04 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1697, Disc: Tones and Genes: Scientific American (2)

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 31-May-2007
From: Hal Schiffman < haroldfs at gmail.com >
Subject: Tones and Genes: A Question

2)
Date: 31-May-2007
From: Bob Ladd < bob at ling.ed.ac.uk >
Subject: Tones and Genes: Article Author's Comments

Date: Mon, 04 Jun 2007 14:12:28
From: Hal Schiffman < haroldfs at gmail.com >

My reaction to the report on a putative connection between tone languages
and genetics was that there are tonal languages like modern Tibetan that
were originally non-tonal, i.e. Classical Tibetan has no tones.  Would the
genetic hypothesis claim that the genes of Tibetans have changed radically
in the last two millennia?

                     Historical Linguistics
                     Neurolinguistics
                     Phonology