18.1744, Jobs: Cognitive Science, General Ling: Post Doc, University of Oslo

Thu Jun 7 17:36:49 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1744. Thu Jun 07 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1744, Jobs: Cognitive Science, General Ling: Post Doc, University of Oslo

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Jun-2007
From: Anders Braarud Hanssen < a.b.hanssen at ifikk.uio.no >
Subject: Cognitive Science, General Linguistics: Post Doc, University of Oslo, Norway

Date: Thu, 07 Jun 2007 13:33:03
From: Anders Braarud Hanssen < a.b.hanssen at ifikk.uio.no >

University or Organization: University of Oslo
Department: CSMN/IFIKK
Web Address: http://www.csmn.uio.no

Job Rank: Post Doc

Specialty Areas: Cognitive Science; General Linguistics

Positions as Post Doctoral Research Fellow (duration up to 3 years - SKO 1352)
available at the Centre for the Study of Mind in Nature (CSMN), IFIKK,
University of Oslo.

CSMN is one of eight new Centres of excellence in the Norwegian Research
Council's SFF-program. Activities start officially on August 1st, 2007. Its
principal goal is to understand the characteristic features of human minds and
their place in nature. This understanding is to be gained though a comprehensive
study of central mental capacities as expressed in (1) rational agency, (2)
linguistic agency and (3) moral agency. CSMN's research topics lie at the
interface of philosophy and the empirical sciences; and in addition to purely
philosophical research, it will conduct interdisciplinary research involving
such subjects as linguistics, cognitive psychology, neuropsychology, political
science, economics and sociology. Intending applicants should visit our website
listed below for further information about CSMN's research goals.

We are looking for up to three candidates who work on these kinds of issues,
broadly construed. In the case of applicants with a non-philosophical academic
background, competence in the central philosophical issues related to the
research areas of rational, moral or linguistic agency needs to be documented.

The candidates will be expected to have their work place in Oslo and to
participate in the various workshops and conferences organized as part of CSMN.

Requirements:

PhD degree in philosophy or related areas (in linguistics, applied ethics,
cognitive psychology, political science, economics or other related research
areas included in CSMN's inter-disciplinary framework). The candidate's work
must be closely related to the central topic of normativity, broadly structured.

The application should include:

Project description (no more than 2500 words), CV (including list of
publications), a writing sample (total word limit: 10,000), and names and
addresses of three referees. We ask all applicants to send up to two references
together with their applications.

The University of Oslo has a goal of recruiting more women in research positions.
Women are encouraged to apply. Applicants who will finish their PhD in the
course of 2007, will be accepted.

Candidates may be called to an interview at the University of Oslo.

For further information please contact centre leader Professor Christel Fricke.

Salary scale: 54-60 (from NOK 389,600  to NOK,433 600,- or from
approximately USD 67,000 to USD 74,000 depending on seniority/qualifications)

REF. NR: 07/5988/GEM

Application Deadline: 29-Jun-2007

Email Address for Applications: stillinger at hf.uio.no

Web Address for Applications: http://www.csmn.uio.no/research/