18.1793, Diss: Cognitive Sci/Semantics: Aptekman: 'From Logic to Linguistics...'

Wed Jun 13 18:12:40 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1793. Wed Jun 13 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1793, Diss: Cognitive Sci/Semantics: Aptekman: 'From Logic to Linguistics...'

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Hunter Lockwood <hunter at linguistlist.org>

Date: 12-Jun-2007
From: Jeanne Aptekman < jeanne.aptekman at gmail.com >
Subject: From Logic to Linguistics: A Semantic analysis of SI

Date: Wed, 13 Jun 2007 14:10:27
From: Jeanne Aptekman < jeanne.aptekman at gmail.com >

Institution: EHESS
Program: PhD in Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2006

Author: Jeanne Aptekman

Dissertation Title: From Logic to Linguistics: A Semantic analysis of SI

Dissertation URL:  http://www.cognition.ens.fr/~aptekman/docs/Jeanne_Aptekman_These_2006.pdf

Linguistic Field(s): Cognitive Science
                     Semantics

Dissertation Director(s):
Daniel Andler
Bernard Victorri

Dissertation Abstract:

Conditionals hold an important place in logical questioning about itself.
In analysing the numerous theories about material conditional, logic
attempts to grasp the logical implication as it appears intuitively to us,
which is a necessary entailment between an antecedent and a consequent. But
at the same time arises the question of the possibility of offering a
treatment for ordinary conditionals using the material conditional of
logic, or the reforms that have been proposed for it. However, the
conditionals, which we will approach here in their paradigmatic form of
SI-clauses, do not always express a logical entailment and these are two
different questions. That is the reason why we wanted to leave aside the
philosophico-logical tradition to propose an analysis of the meaning of SI
in a clearly semantic prospective. Within a large polysemy, a significant
unity comes out of this approach, which allows us to take a fresh look at
the debate in psychology of reasoning about logical connectives.