18.1831, All: Call for Participation: Wikipedia Volunteers

Mon Jun 18 16:53:34 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1831. Mon Jun 18 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1831, All: Call for Participation: Wikipedia Volunteers

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 18-Jun-2007
From: Hannah Morales < hannah at linguistlist.org >
Subject: Wikipedia Volunteers

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 12:49:35
From: Hannah Morales < hannah at linguistlist.org >

Dear subscribers,

As you may recall, one of our Fund Drive 2007 campaigns was called the
"Wikipedia Update Vote." We asked our viewers to consider earmarking their
donations to organize an update project on linguistics entries in the
English-language Wikipedia. You can find more background information on this at:

http://linguistlist.org/donation/fund-drive2007/wikipedia/index.cfm.

The speed with which we met our goal, thanks to the interest and generosity of
our readers, was a sure sign that the linguistics community was enthusiastic
about the idea. Now that summer is upon us, and some of you may have a bit more
leisure time, we are hoping that you will be able to help us get started on the
Wikipedia project.  The LINGUIST List's role in this project is a purely
organizational one. We will:

*Help, with your input, to identify major gaps in the Wikipedia materials or
pages that need improvement;
*Compile a list of linguistics pages that Wikipedia editors have identified as
"in need of attention from an expert on the subject" or " does not cite any
references or sources," etc;
*Send out periodical calls for volunteer contributors on specific topics or
articles;
*Provide simple instructions on how to upload your entries into Wikipedia;
*Keep track of our project Wikipedians;
*Keep track of revisions and new entries;
*Work with Wikimedia Foundation to publicize the linguistics community's efforts.

We hope you are as enthusiastic about this effort as we are. Just to help us all
get started looking at Wikipedia more critically, and to easily identify an area
needing improvement, we suggest that you take a look at the List of Linguists
page at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_linguists. M

Many people are not listed there; others need to have more facts and information
added.  If you would like to participate in this exciting update effort, please
respond by sending an email to LINGUIST Editor Hannah Morales at
hannah at linguistlist.org, suggesting what your role might be or which linguistics
entries you feel should be updated or added. Some linguists who saw our campaign
on the Internet have already written us with specific suggestions, which we will
share with you soon.

This update project will take major time and effort on all our parts. The end
result will be a much richer internet resource of information on the breadth and
depth of the field of linguistics. Our efforts should also stimulate prospective
students to consider studying linguistics and to educate a wider public on what
we do. Please consider participating.

Sincerely,
Hannah Morales
Editor, Wikipedia Update Project