18.1833, Qs: Corpus of Spoken American English; Research of Asian Scholars

Mon Jun 18 19:27:19 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1833. Mon Jun 18 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1833, Qs: Corpus of Spoken American English; Research of Asian Scholars

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Kevin Burrows <kevin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 18-Jun-2007
From: Susanne Strubel < susannestrubel at web.de >
Subject: Santa Barbara Corpus of Spoken American English

2)
Date: 18-Jun-2007
From: Anabelle Magbanua < anabelle_magbanua at yahoo.com >
Subject: Rhetorical Moves in the Research of Asian Scholars

Date: Mon, 18 Jun 2007 15:19:29
From: Susanne Strubel < susannestrubel at web.de >

Dear Linguist List members,

I am looking for literature referring to or working with the Santa Barbara
Corpus of Spoken English. Below, you find an extract of my preliminary
findings. I will be glad to post a summary / further completed list.

Thank you very much for your effort.

Best wishes,

Susanne Strubel

List of references:

Aijmer, Karin / Stentström, Anna-Brita (2004): Discourse patterns in spoken
and written corpora. In: Karin Aijmer & Anna-Brita Stenström (eds.) (2004):
Discourse Patterns in spoken and written corpora. Amsterdam / Philadelphia:
Benjamins, 1-13.

Chafe, Wallace (2005): The relation of grammar of thought. In: Christopher
S. Butler (ed.) (2005): The Dynamics of Language Use: Functional and
Contrastive Perspectives. Amsterdam / Philadelphia: Benjamins, 57-87.

Chafe, Wallace L. / Du Bois, John W. / Thompson, Sandra A. (1991): Towards
a new corpus of Spoken American English. In: Karin Aijmer & Bengt Altenberg
(eds.) (1991): English Corpus Linguistics. New York: Longman, 64-82.

Couper-Kuhlen, Elizabeth / Thompson, Sandra A. (2006): ?You know, it's
funny": Eine Neubetrachtung der ?Extraposition" im Englischen. In: Susanne
Günthner & Wolfgang Imo (eds.) (2006): Konstruktion in der Interaktion.
Berlin / New York: Mouton de Gruyter, 23-58.

Du Bois, John / Schuetze-Coburn, Stephan / Paolino, Danae / Cumming,
Susanna (1993): Outline of discourse transcription. In: Jane A. Edwards &
Martin D. Lampert (eds.) Talking data: Transcription and coding methods for
language research. Hillsdale, NJ: Lawrence Erlbaum, 45-89.

Du Bois, John W. / Kumpf, Lorraine E. / Ashby, William J. (eds.) (2003):
Preferred argument structure. Grammar as architecture for function.
Amsterdam / Philadelphia: Benjamins

Finegan, Edward (2005): The possibilities and limits of corpus-linguistics
/ Möglichkeiten und Grenzen korpuslinguistischer Beschreibung. In: Ulrich
Ammon et al. (ed.) (2005): Sociolinguistics: An International Handbook of
the Science of Language and Society / Soziolinguistik: Ein internationales
Handbuch zur Wissenschaft von Sprache und Gesellschaft. 2nd completely
revised and extended Edition. Berlin / New York: de Gruyter, 1095-1103.
Fox, Renata / Fox, John (2004): Organizational discourse: A
language-ideology-power perspective. Westport, Conn. / London: Praeger.
Giora, Rachel (2003): On our mind: Salience, context, and figurative
language. Oxford: OUP.

Kaufmann, Anita (2002): Book Review: The Santa Barbara Corpus of Spoken
American English?Part 1. Journal of Pragmatics 34, 1309-1316.

Krug, Manfred (2003): Frequency as a determinant in grammatical variation
and change. In: Günter Rohdenburg & Britta Mondorf (eds.): Determinants of
Grammatical Variation in English. Berlin / New York: Mouton de Gruyter, 7-67.

Mair, Christian (2003): Gerundial complements after begin and start:
Grammatical and sociolinguistic factors, and how they work against each
other. In: Günter Rohdenburg & Britta Mondorf (eds.): Determinants of
Grammatical Variation in English. Berlin / New York: Mouton de Gruyter,329-345.

Svartvik, Jan / Lindquist, Hans (1997): One and body language. In: Udo
Fries, Viviane Müller, Peter Schneider (eds.): From Ælfric to the New York
Times. Studies in English Corpus Linguistics. Amsterdam: Rodopi, 11-20.

Linguistic Field(s): Text/Corpus Linguistics