18.735, Jobs: English Linguistics: Biomedical NLP Engineer, Ingenuity Systems

Fri Mar 9 16:18:38 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-735. Fri Mar 09 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.735, Jobs: English Linguistics: Biomedical NLP Engineer, Ingenuity Systems

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 08-Mar-2007
From: Danelle Blondin < dblondin at ingenuity.com >
Subject: English Linguistics: Biomedical NLP Engineer, Ingenuity Systems, Redwood City, CA, USA

Date: Fri, 09 Mar 2007 11:08:10
From: Danelle Blondin < dblondin at ingenuity.com >

Web Address: http://www.ingenuity.com

Job Rank: Biomedical NLP Engineer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)
                      English

Ingenuity is a group of creative, energetic, motivated people helping life
science researchers understand biological mechanisms. We deliver systems biology
expertise to biologists and bioinformaticians through pathways analysis
software, genome-scale computable network  datasets, search and visualization
tools, knowledge management services, and our enterprise semantic technology
infrastructure, resulting in increased R productivity and faster drugs to
market. We are passionate about our users, our products, and our technology, and
are dedicated to providing scientific researchers with the knowledge required to
make Better  Decisions Faster (TM).

Position Description  :
Ingenuity is  looking for intelligent and talented developers to join our
technical team. In this position,  you will  be responsible for leading the
development of several core software components that will become part of our
semantic search technology platform.

You will report directly to the CTO and work closely with all members of our
talented and experienced  technical and scientific team. In this position, you
will be responsible for all aspects of linguistic software development,
including architecture, design, coding, documentation, QA, deployment and
management. Additionally, since you will be working on key components of our
core technology platform, you will have the unique opportunity to significantly
impact the success of our products and company.

The ideal candidate for this position will possess a strong understanding
of computational linguistic fundamentals, particularly in NLP, Information
Retrieval and Information Extraction methods, have a strong track record for
applying these techniques in medicine, biology and genomics, and be able
to solve complex new engineering problems in these areas. Experience with search
engine architectures, large-scale ontologies, and semantic web
technology development is a strong plus. However, a strong technical acumen
is more important than immediately relevant experience. The qualified candidate
can expect a high-profile position on a great team with many challenges and rewards.

Education, Skills & Experience REQUIRED:
- Natural language processing experience, particularly computational linguistics
and knowledge-based NLP.
- Training in lexical semantics (syntax, morphology, semantics, etc).
- Experience in applying NLP and IR techniques to medicine, biology and genomics
information, including entity recognition, fact extraction, and
semantic disambiguation.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current research trends, techniques and in IR
and NLP as applied to biomedicine.
- Experience or demonstrated knowledge of machine learning techniques,
particularly as related to statistical natural language processing.
- Must be familiar with Semantic Web concepts, including ontologies, knowledge
representation and reasoning.
- Strong programming skills in Java and Python, with a focus on high-performance
text and linguistic processing.
- Strong verbal and written communications skills.

Education, Skills  DESIRED:
- Specific experience working with MeSH, UMLS, Gene Ontology, and other
biomedical ontologies.
- Knowledge of language / writing conventions in the life sciences and what
makes them different from other fields.
- Participation in BioCreative, TREC or SIGIR a strong plus.
- Experience with natural language generation and summarization approaches.
- Experience developing with formal ontologies and controlled vocabularies.
- Research background and publications in refereed conferences is a plus.
- Experience with search engine and data mining technologies and architectures a
strong plus.
- Experience with frame-based knowledge-representation and systems such as
Protigi.
- Knowledge of Scrum and XP methodologies.

Email Address for Applications: dblondin at ingenuity.com

Contact Information:
	HR Assistant Danelle Blondin
	Email: dblondin at ingenuity.com