18.824, Sum: Saussure on Word-Formation

Mon Mar 19 01:29:39 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-824. Sun Mar 18 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.824, Sum: Saussure on Word-Formation

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Kevin Burrows <kevin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 17-Mar-2007
From: Bruno Maroneze < maronezebruno at yahoo.com.br >
Subject: Saussure on Word-Formation

Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2007 20:26:32
From: Bruno Maroneze < maronezebruno at yahoo.com.br >

Query for this summary posted in LINGUIST Issue: 18.522

Regarding Query: http://linguistlist.org/issues/18/18-522.html

Dear colleagues,
I apologize for taking so long in sending you the summary of my request on
Saussure. I received the following responses:

Andrew Carstairs-McCarthy indicated his chapter 'Basic terminology', in P
Stekauer & R Lieber (eds) _Handbook
of Word-Formation_ (Springer, 2005).

Philip W. Davis told me about the chapter 2 of his Modern Theories of
Language (1973, Prentice-Hall), unfortunately now out of print.
Konrad Szczesniak suggested me the reading of Aronoff's Fundamentals of
Morphology.

Shishir Bhattacharja kindly sent me his doctoral thesis, "Word formation in
Bengali", in which he adopts a neo-Saussurean point of view.

Israel Cohen sent me interesting considerations on the etymology of idioms,
but as this is not my main area of interest, I ask you to contact him
directly (cohen.izzy at gmail.com), if you wish so.

Best regards,
Bruno O. Maroneze
Ph.D. Student