18.835, All: Obituary and Tribute: John Sinclair (1933-2007)

Mon Mar 19 19:06:52 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-835. Mon Mar 19 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.835, All: Obituary and Tribute: John Sinclair (1933-2007)

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 16-Mar-2007
From: Ute Römer < ute.roemer at engsem.uni-hannover.de >
Subject: Obituary: John McH. Sinclair (1933 - 2007)

2)
Date: 17-Mar-2007
From: Antoinette Renouf < ajrenouf at uce.ac.uk >
Subject: ICAME: A Tribute to John Sinclair

Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2007 14:01:56
From: Ute Römer < ute.roemer at engsem.uni-hannover.de >

On behalf of Elena Tognini Bonelli

OBITUARY: JOHN SINCLAIR (1933 - 2007)

13 March 2007 was a very sad day for the world of linguistics. John
Sinclair (b. 14 June 1933) died at his home in Florence, aged 73. He will
be deeply missed by his family, his colleagues and his many friends. His
death is a terrible loss to everyone who knew him. Friends and colleagues
are welcome to the interment of the urn which will be at the Cimitero degli
Inglesi in Florence on 28 March at 3.30pm.

John was an outstanding scholar, a first-generation modern corpus linguist
and clearly one of the most open-minded and original thinkers in the field.
He was Professor of Modern English Language at the University of Birmingham
for most of his career and founder of the ground-breaking COBUILD project
in lexical computing which revolutionised lexicography in the 1980s and
resulted in a new generation of corpus-driven dictionaries and reference
materials for English language learners. After his retirement from
Birmingham John moved to Italy where he became President of the Tuscan Word
Centre, an association devoted to promoting the scientific study of
language. On the short intensive courses that the Tuscan Word Centre
offered, John very generously shared his original ideas about language and
linguistics with generations of younger scholars, introduced numerous
students to the fascinating world of corpora and inspired many new ideas
for future research in linguistics. He was an Honorary Life Member of the
Linguistics Association of Great Britain and a member of the Academia
Europaea. John held an Honorary Doctorate in Philosophy from the University
of Gothenburg, and Honorary Professorships in the Universities of Jiao
Tong, Shanghai and Glasgow.

He is gone now and it will be very hard to get used to it. John's last
email to me just a couple of days ago ended ''Very brief note tonight; more
to follow.'' I will miss him.

Ute

Dr. Ute Römer
English Department