18.894, Language: in a Sociogeographic Context

Sat Mar 24 23:26:10 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-894. Sat Mar 24 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.894, Language: in a Sociogeographic Context

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Kevin Burrows <kevin at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 24-Mar-2007
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: What is LL-Map?

Date: Sat, 24 Mar 2007 19:23:29
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >

Dear Subscribers,

We'd like to share some information with you about one of our most interesting
grant projects to date - Language and Location: A Map Annotation Project (LL-MAP).
This project is designed to integrate language information with data from the
physical and social sciences by means of a Geographical Information System (GIS).
The most important part of the project will be a language subsystem, which will
relate geographical information on the area in which a language is or has been
spoken to data on resources relevant to the language. Through a link to the
Multi-Tree project, information on all proposed genetic relationships of the
languages will also be made available and viewable in a geographic context.
Ultimately, the system will include ancillary information on topography, political
boundaries, demographics, climate, vegetation, and wildlife, thus providing a
basis upon which to build hypotheses about language movement across territory.
Some cultural information, e.g., on religion, ethnicity, and economics, will
also be included.

The LL-MAP system will encourage collaboration between linguists, historians,
archaeologists, ethnographers, and geneticists, as they explore the relationship
between language and cultural adaptation and change. We hope it will elicit new
insights and hypotheses, and that it will also serve as an educational resource.
As a GIS, LL-MAP has the potential to be a captivating instructional tool,
presenting complex data in a way accessible to all educational levels. Finally,
as a free service available online, LL-MAP should increase public knowledge of
lesser-known languages and cultures, underlining the importance of language and
linguistic diversity to cultural understanding and scientific inquiry.

LL-MAP is a joint project of Eastern Michigan University and Stockholm University,
in collaboration with several projects and archives in the USA, Europe, and
Australia. Collaborators include PARADISEC, The Alaska Native Language Center,
The Tibetan-Himalayan Digital Library, and The WALS Project, as well as noted
documentary linguists. Technical development will be directed by The Institute
for Geospatial Research and Education (IGRE) at Eastern Michigan University.
The project is funded by a three-year grant from the National Science Foundation.

Sincerely,
The LINGUIST Crew

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $55,000. This money will go to help keep the
List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out our Fund Drive 2007
LINGUIST List Superhero Adventure for some Fund Drive fun!

http://linguistlist.org/donation/fund-drive2007/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form.

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later.

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by
check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:

http://linguistlist.org/donate.html

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can
receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit
organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against
your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more
information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift
you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human
resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns
to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the
value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment
to check if your company operates such a program.

We would like to thank all of the publishers and subscribers who
donated prizes for this year's Fund Drive games, puzzles, and
competitions.

Publisher Prize Donors:

Cascadilla Press
Continuum
Edinburgh University Press
Hodder Arnold
Mouton de Gruyter
Multilingual Matters
Sage Publications

Subscriber Prize Donors:

Rusudan Amirejibi-Mullen
Paola Attolino
Cristiano Chesi
Greville G. Corbett
Rosa J. Garcia B. Cordova
Gang Gu
Suzette Haden Elgin
Lise Menn
Claus Dieter Pusch
Sandra Thompson
Thorsten Trippel
Tom Zurinskas

The LINGUIST List Hall of Fame

SUPERHEROES ($1000 and over)

HEROES ($100 to $1000)

Amira Agameya
Andrea Berez
Andrew Kehler
Bernard Spolsky
Carleton College
Carlota Smith
Carol Klee
Carolyn Hartnett
Charles Scott
Cynthia Edmiston
Danny Moates
David Bowie
Earl M Herrick
Elizabeth Cowper
Emily M. Bender
Ernest McCarus
Frances Trix
Gerardo Lorenzino
Hans Lindquist
Heike Behrens
Judith Fuller
Julie Auger
Kanjana Thepboriruk
Karen Davis
Katy Carlson
Kemp Williams
Keren Rice
Laura Callahan
Laura Wagner
Manuela Noske
Marisa Ferrara Boston
Martin Haspelmath
Michael Swan
Nigel Fabb
Nikolaus Ritt
Peter Jurgec
Richard Meier
Rochelle Lieber
Roger Shuy
Sally McConnell-Ginet
Shanley Allen
Stefan Th. Gries
Tom Wasow
Tucker Childs
Ute Römer
Victoria Muehleisen
Wayles Browne
Wendy Wilkins

- Plus 4 anonymous donors

SUPPORTERS ($50 to $100)

Anke Lüdeling
Anne Barron
Anne Breitbarth
Arsalan Kahnemuyipour
Brian King
Britta Stolterfoht
Carl Polley
Elisabeth COTTIER-FÁBIÁN
George Williams
Hsiang-Hua Chang
Humphrey van Polanen Petel
Jean Mulder
Jie Zhang
Jillian Mills
Jo-Anne Ferreira
Jose Camacho
Jose-Luis Mendivil
Joybrato Mukherjee
Julia Herschensohn
Kristin Denham
Laura Downing
Laurie Zaring
Linguistics Program, Northeastern University
Lisa Galvin
Maite Taboada
Marc-Olivier Hinzelin
Maria Blume
marianne kilani-schoch
Michael Barrie
Michael Wagner
Norvin Richards
Oliver Stegen
PAUL JUSTICE
Regina Morin
Ricardo Bermúdez-Otero
Rick Nouwen
Scott G McGinnis
Susan Meredith Burt
Ulrike Christofori
Xabier Artiagoitia
Yael Sharvit

- Plus 2 anonymous donors

DONORS (Up to $50)

Agnes Sandor
Akira Omaki
Ali
Amy Isard
Andrew Koontz-Garboden
Anne Violin-Wigent
Barbara McGillivray
Benedetta Bassetti
Bernard Kripkee
Betty S. Phillips
Catharina Peersman
Catherine Anderson
Chad Nilep
Chris Evans
Christopher Sams
Corrine McCarthy
Dalina Kallulli
Dan Loehr
Daniela Müller
Diana Apoussidou
Eileen Smith
Elisabeth Norcliffe
Eva Lavric
Evelyn E. Feliciano
Hortensia Curell
Igor Z. Zagar
iris flannery
J I Huettner
Jacques Jayez
James Kirkmeyer
Jeffrey Heinz
Jila Ghomeshi
K. David Harrison
Kat Dziwirek
Kathleen Currie Hall
Kent Johnson
Kristine Veinberga
Larry LaFond
Liberty Lidz
Linda Apse
lisa levinson
Loretta OConnor
Marian Sloboda
MARTIN
Michael Pickering
Nick Pendar
Renae O'Hanlon
Riitta-Liisa Valijärvi
Seth Cable
Shahid
Shelley Tulloch
Talia Bugel
Tamina Stephenson
Theres Grueter
Toshihiro Sugawara
Ute Smit
Vieri Samek-Lodovici
WIM VANDENBUSSCHE, VRIJE UNIVERSITEIT BRUSSEL

- Plus 11 anonymous donors

MAJOR SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

Cascadilla Press
http://www.cascadilla.com/
Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd
http://www.continuumbooks.com
Edinburgh University Press
http://www.eup.ed.ac.uk/
European Language Resources Association - ELRA
http://www.elra.info.
Georgetown University Press
http://www.press.georgetown.edu
Hodder Arnold
http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk
John Benjamins
http://www.benjamins.com/
http://www.benjamins.nl/
Lincom GmbH
http://www.lincom.eu
www.lincom.eu
Mouton de Gruyter
http://www.mouton-publishers.com
Multilingual Matters
http://www.multilingual-matters.com/
Oxford University Press
http://www.oup.com/us
http://www.oup.co.uk
Pagijong Press
http://pjbook.com
Palgrave Macmillan
http://www.palgrave.com
Peter Lang AG
http://www.peterlang.com
Rodopi
http://www.rodopi.nl/
http://www.rodopi.nl
Springer
http://www.springer.com

OTHER SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS
CSLI Publications
http://cslipublications.stanford.edu/
International Pragmatics Assoc.
http://www.ipra.be
Linguistic Assoc. of Finland
http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/sky/
Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics / Landelijke - LOT
http://www.lotpublications.nl/
SIL International
http://www.ethnologue.com/bookstore.asp
St. Jerome Publishing Ltd.
http://www.stjerome.co.uk

INSTITUTIONS

BAE Systems
Basis Technology
Basis Technology Corporation
BeVocal, Inc
Boston University
Bridgewater State College
Butler Hill Group
CELI s.r.l.
City University of Hong Kong
Comcast
Concordia University
Darmstadt University of Technology
Dongduk Women's University
English School Sunny Plus
Grove City College
Gyeonggi English Village
Hablamos Juntos - UCSF
Haskins Laboratories
Hokkaido University
Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
Indiana University
Indiana University - Bloomington
Ingenuity Systems
Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität Frankfurt/Main
Johns Hopkins University
Kent State University
KNOVA Software, Inc.
La Trobe University
LearnBalance Group
Leibniz Universität Hannover
Lexicon Branding, Inc.
Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania
Louisiana State University
Maher Language Institute (MLI)
McGill University
McNeil Technologies, Inc.
Michigan State University
Monterey Institute of International Studies
National Sun Yat-sen University
National Taiwan Normal University
Nemours/AI duPont Hospital for Children
Nordic CoE in Microcomparative Syntax
Northwestern University
Nuance Communications, Inc.
Q-go Netherlands bv
Radboud University Nijmegen
RiverGlass, Inc.
RPI
RWTH Aachen
San Diego State University
SDL International
Seattle Pacific University
Shenandoah University
Simon Fraser University
SOAS, University of London
Stony Brook University
Systran
SYSTRAN S.A.
SYSTRAN Software, Inc.
The Australian National University
The State University of New York at Buffalo
Tuebingen University
Tufts University
UCSC
University College London
University of Aberdeen
University of Alaska Fairbanks
University of Alberta
University of Arizona
University of British Columbia
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
University of California, San Diego
University of California, Santa Barbara
University of Chicago
University of Cologne
University of Delaware
University of Edinburgh
University of Geneva
University of Hamburg (Germany)
University of Leeds
University of Mary Washington
University of Maryland
University of Maryland University College
University of Michigan
University of Mississippi
University of Missouri-Rolla
University of Neuchatel