18.949, Confs: General Ling/UK

Thu Mar 29 06:46:37 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-949. Thu Mar 29 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.949, Confs: General Ling/UK

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Taylor <jeremy at linguistlist.org>

Date: 28-Mar-2007
From: John Partridge < jgp at kent.ac.uk >
Subject: Interfaces in Language

          Fund Drive FLASH: We still need $33,903 to end Fund Drive.
   If you have not donated, please visit http://linguistlist.org/donate.html

Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 02:39:59
From: John Partridge < jgp at kent.ac.uk >

Interfaces in Language

Date: 23-Apr-2007 - 25-Apr-2007
Location: Canterbury, Kent, United Kingdom
Contact: John Partridge
Contact Email: jgp at kent.ac.uk

Within language studies we are constantly confronted with boundaries and
interfaces: for example between languages, between countries, between dialect
areas, and between various aspects and components of linguistic study. This
conference aims to examine where these occur, to see whether boundaries can and
need to be drawn or grey areas declared, and to map out further areas of
investigation.

The organisation of panels will be finalised when all proposals have been received.

Keynote speaker: Marc van Oostendorp (Meertens Instituut, Amsterdam).
Organising Committee: Sandra Döring, David Hornsby, John Partridge, Nicola
Schmidt-Renfree

Interfaces in Language:
An international linguistics conference
University of Kent, Canterbury
April 23-25, 2007

Rationale
As in many other disciplines, within language studies we are constantly
confronted with boundaries and interfaces: for example between languages,
between language communities established on linguistic or socio-political
criteria, between dialect areas, between differing theories of language and
between various aspects and components of linguistic study. Lines have been
drawn compartmentalising various elements of linguistics at both macro- and
micro-levels, only for their validity  to be challenged in later work Papers
from three continents accepted for this conference cover a wide range of issues
subsumed under three foci: Contact and Conflict, Categories and Orthodoxies, and
Language and Cognition. The conference will examine specific occurrences of such
interfaces, great or small assess their significance, determine whether and
where boundaries can and need to be drawn or grey areas recognised and map out
further areas of investigation.

Keynote speakers
-	Marc van Oostendorp, Meertens Instituut, Amsterdam
-	Felicity Rash, Queen Mary University London
-	Ken Turner, Brighton University

The full programme will be published shortly: late submissions will also be
considered.

The proceedings of the conference are to be published in a volume provisionally
entitled Interfaces edited by the conference organisers, to include the best
papers under each of the three headings above, together with a fourth section
focusing on issues raised in the general discussion which. will conclude the
conference

For details and booking forms please contact Dr John Partridge
jgp at kent.ac.uk or via
http:// www.kent.ac.uk/secl/

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $55,000. This money will go to help keep the
List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out our Fund Drive 2007
LINGUIST List Superhero Adventure for some Fund Drive fun!

http://linguistlist.org/donation/fund-drive2007/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form.

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later.

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by
check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:

http://linguistlist.org/donate.html

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can
receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit
organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against
your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more
information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift
you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human
resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns
to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the
value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment
to check if your company operates such a program.