18.953, LINGUIST: The Great Defender

Thu Mar 29 15:36:33 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-953. Thu Mar 29 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.953, LINGUIST: The Great Defender

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Gayathri Sriram <gayatri at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 29-Mar-2007
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >
Subject: Dr. Jeff Allen on the Real Superheroes

          Fund Drive FLASH: We still need $33,528 to end Fund Drive.
   If you have not donated, please visit http://linguistlist.org/donate.html

Date: Thu, 29 Mar 2007 11:27:12
From:  linguist < linguist at linguistlist.org >

**The LINGUIST List Advisory Board comprises 31 highly qualified linguists
diverse in both location and linguistic specialty. We are very grateful for
their thoughtful advice and assistance over the years--LINGUIST wouldn't be the
same without them!

     http://linguistlist.org/advisors.cfm

Please continue reading for a message from Dr. Jeff Allen, one of our
advisors.**

Dear LINGUIST-Listers,

I have been following the Fund Drive 2007 Superhero Adventure and would like to
give my view on how this superhero comic approach applies to us. Last week I
happened to watch the film Spiderman 2. Spiderman was constantly swinging in to
the rescue in contexts of bank robberies, runaway trains, and of course fighting
against the evil villain Dr. Octopus. Yet, a key statement in the movie was that
it is not about having or not having such enemies for defending the public;
that is a given, which is more or less based on a constant flow of needs. And
let us recall that he is always tired in his daily life because of trying to
handle all of those situations. Rather, the key concern was whether or not the
superhero would be present to play the role of that defender. You will have to
watch the movie to know the reason why.

In a way, LINGUIST-List (LL) is the great defender of the cause of linguistics.
It covers all subject areas, embraces all approaches, is nearly omnipresent with
those daily announcements, and provides a knowledge base of data, discussion
lists and information links that no one can probably claim to have accessed in
its entirety. Yet, what would happen if LL ceased to exist because of lack of
funds? It could be as much a reality as was the situation in Spiderman 2.

Donating to LL is a long-term investment into the continuity of our movement of
researchers and practitioners. We are constantly coming up with ideas to
supplement these donations, and some of them are bringing forth results, but the
reality today is that the donations received, primarily during each annual fund
drive, are the basis for keeping the LL defender in action.

Regards,

Jeff Allen
Advisor, LINGUIST-List
allen at linguistlist.org
&
Director, Business Development
Software and Web Site Globalization
Translations.com
90, av des Champs-Elysées
75008 Paris FRANCE

This Year the LINGUIST List hopes to raise $55,000. This money will go to help keep the
List running by supporting all of our Student Editors for the coming year.

See below for donation instructions, and don't forget to check out our Fund Drive 2007
LINGUIST List Superhero Adventure for some Fund Drive fun!

http://linguistlist.org/donation/fund-drive2007/

There are many ways to donate to LINGUIST!

You can donate right now using our secure credit card form.

Alternatively you can also pledge right now and pay later.

For all information on donating and pledging, including information on how to donate by
check, money order, or wire transfer, please visit:

http://linguistlist.org/donate.html

The LINGUIST List is under the umbrella of Eastern Michigan University and as such can
receive donations through the EMU Foundation, which is a registered 501(c) Non Profit
organization. Our Federal Tax number is 38-6005986. These donations can be offset against
your federal and sometimes your state tax return (U.S. tax payers only). For more
information visit the IRS Web-Site, or contact your financial advisor.

Many companies also offer a gift matching program, such that they will match any gift
you make to a non-profit organization. Normally this entails your contacting your human
resources department and sending us a form that the EMU Foundation fills in and returns
to your employer. This is generally a simple administrative procedure that doubles the
value of your gift to LINGUIST, without costing you an extra penny. Please take a moment
to check if your company operates such a program.

We would like to thank all of the publishers and subscribers who
donated prizes for this year's Fund Drive games, puzzles, and
competitions.

Publisher Prize Donors:

Cascadilla Press
Continuum
Edinburgh University Press
Hodder Arnold
Mouton de Gruyter
Multilingual Matters
Sage Publications

Subscriber Prize Donors:

Rusudan Amirejibi-Mullen
Paola Attolino
Cristiano Chesi
Greville G. Corbett
Rosa J. Garcia B. Cordova
Gang Gu
Suzette Haden Elgin
Lise Menn
Claus Dieter Pusch
Sandra Thompson
Thorsten Trippel
Tom Zurinskas

The LINGUIST List Hall of Fame

SUPERHEROES ($1000 and over)

HEROES ($100 to $1000)

Akira Yamamoto
Amira Agameya
Andrea Berez
Andrew Kehler
anita fetzer
Anna Kibort
Antonella Sorace
Arienne M. Dwyer
Bernard Spolsky
Billy Clark
Bruce Fraser
Carleton College
Carlota Smith
Carol Klee
Carolyn Hartnett
Cathy Sin Ping WONG
Charles Scott
Christina Villafana Dalcher
Cinzia Russi
Cynthia Edmiston
Dan Finer and Ellen Broselow
Dan I. Slobin
Daniel C Hall
Danny Moates
David Bowie
Diane Massam and Yves Roberge
Dorothy Disterheft
Earl M Herrick
Elizabeth Cowper
Elizabeth Liddy
Emily M. Bender
Eric Breck
Ernest McCarus
Fiona Mc Laughlin
Frances Trix
Gerardo Lorenzino
Hans Lindquist
Heike Behrens
Jeffrey Good
Judith Fuller
Julie Auger
Kanjana Thepboriruk
Karen Corrigan
Karen Davis
Katy Carlson
Kemp Williams
Keren Rice
Kevin Gregg
Kristy Beers Fägersten
Lap Cheung
Laura Callahan
Laura Wagner
Manuela Noske
Marisa Ferrara Boston
Martin Haspelmath
Martin Kappus and Maribel Romero
Mary Bucholtz
Mary Laughren
Melinda Nobles
Michael Silverstein
Michael Swan
Nancy Sullivan
Nigel Fabb
Nikolaus Ritt
Ora Matushansky
Paul Chapin
Peter Jurgec
Revue Romane
Richard Meier
richard Wright
Rochelle Lieber
Roger Shuy
Sally McConnell-Ginet
Sanford Steever
Shanley Allen
Shirley Silver
Stefan Th. Gries
Steven Moran
Surrey Morphology Group SMG
Susanne Gahl
Theresa Biberauer
Tom Wasow
Tucker Childs
Ute Römer
Victoria Muehleisen
Wannie Carstens
Wayles Browne
Wendy Wilkins
Zenzi M. Griffin

- Plus 7 anonymous donors

SUPPORTERS ($50 to $100)

Alison Gabriele
Amaya Mendikoetxea
anja wanner
Anke Lüdeling
Ann Wehmeyer
Anna Fowles-Winkler
ANNA GAVARRO ALGUERO
Anne Barron
Anne Breitbarth
Arsalan Kahnemuyipour
Bencie Woll
Bert Remijsen
Brian King
Britta Stolterfoht
Carl Polley
Carla Umbach
Catherine Fortin and Blake Howald
Catherine Rudin
Claire Bowern
Claudia Borgonovo
Claus D. Pusch
Dave Schneider
Donca Steriade
Donna Lardiere
Elisabeth COTTIER-FÁBIÁN
Eric Haeberli
francisco Dubert
fred cummins
George Williams
Grover Hudson
Hsiang-Hua Chang
Humphrey van Polanen Petel
Jean Mulder
Jennifer Cole
Jie Zhang
Jillian Mills
Jo-Anne Ferreira
Joan Baart
Johanna Laakso
John Beavers
Joke Mondada
Jose Camacho
Jose-Luis Mendivil
Joybrato Mukherjee
Judith Meinschaefer
Julia Herschensohn
Keith Slater
Kelly Vincent
Kenneth Trease
Klaus P. Schneider
Kristin Denham
Laura Downing
Laura McGarrity
Laurel B. Preston
Laurie Zaring
Leslie Saxon
Linguistics Program, Northeastern University
Lisa Brandt Heckman
Lisa Galvin
Loraine K. Obler
Maite Taboada
Marc-Olivier Hinzelin
Maria Blume
marianne kilani-schoch
Marianne Milligan
Mary Dalrymple
Marya Teutsch-Dwyer
Michael Barrie
Michael Wagner
Mikki VanEps
Mira Ariel
Morris Salkoff
Neil Olsen
Norvin Richards
Oliver Stegen
Patrick Honeybone
PAUL JUSTICE
Peter Richtsmeier
Philip S. LeSourd
Pilar Barbosa
Raphael Berthele
Regina Morin
Ricardo Bermúdez-Otero
Rick Nouwen
Rodrigo Gutiérrez-Bravo
Ron Moe
Roswitha Fischer
Sara Rosen
Sarah Fish
Sarah Murray
Scott G McGinnis
Shlomo Izre'el
Simona Herdan
Student Linguistics Assocation Ohio State University
Susan D Fischer
Susan Meredith Burt
Suzanne van der Feest
Tanja Heizmann
Tobin Skinner
Tom Roeper
Ulrike Christofori
Veronika Koller
Wendy Bannister
Xabier Artiagoitia
Yael Sharvit
Zinny Bond

- Plus 10 anonymous donors

DONORS (Up to $50)

Agnes Sandor
Akira Omaki
Albin Jaques
Alexandra Teodorescu
Ali
Amanda Black
Amy Isard
Ana Ameal-Guerra
Andrew Koontz-Garboden
Anne Violin-Wigent
Antoine Auchlin
Athanasios Giannaris
Barbara McGillivray
Benedetta Bassetti
Bernard Kripkee
Betty S. Phillips
Catharina Peersman
Catherine Anderson
Chad Nilep
Chris Evans
Christopher Bader
Christopher Becker
Christopher Green
Christopher Sams
Corinna Handschuh
Corrine McCarthy
Dalina Kallulli
Dan Loehr
Daniela Müller
Diana Apoussidou
Dimitrios Ntelitheos
don frantz
Douglas Lightfoot
Effi Georgala
Eileen Smith
Elisabeth Norcliffe
Erik Willis
Eva Lavric
Evelyn E. Feliciano
Heidi Quinn
Helmut Weiß
Hortensia Curell
Hugo Quene
Igor Z. Zagar
iris flannery
J I Huettner
Jacqueline Lecarme
Jacques Jayez
Jakub Dotlacil
James Kirkmeyer
Jean-Marc Dewaele
Jeffrey Heinz
jenny battig
Jila Ghomeshi
Joanna Lowenstein
John W. Du Bois
Josep Alba
K. David Harrison
Kat Dziwirek
Kathleen Currie Hall
Kela Ruuskanen
Kent Johnson
Kristen Asplin
Kristine Hildebrandt
Kristine Veinberga
Larry LaFond
Liberty Lidz
lisa levinson
Ljuba Veselinova
Loretta OConnor
Mamiko Hamakado
Maria Isabel Kalbermatten
Marian Sloboda
MARTIN
Mary C. Gruber
Mary O'Brien
Maurice Wong
Michael Pickering
Mika Poss
Nancy Melucci
Nick Pendar
Nynke de Haas
Patience Epps
Rebecca Shields
Renae O'Hanlon
Richard Winters
Riitta-Liisa Valijärvi
Robert  A. Papen
Robert Strong
Sandhya and Tom Sundaresan and McFadden
Sandra Smith
Sara Mack
Sarah Clarke
Seth Cable
Shahid
Shannon Finch
Shelley Tulloch
Stefan A. Frisch
Stefan Dollinger
Stephan Kepser
Suzanne Aalberse
Suzanne Evans Wagner
Takaomi Kato
Talia Bugel
Tamina Stephenson
Tanya Sydorenko
Theres Grueter
Therese Carr
Toshihiro Sugawara
Tristan Purvis
Ute Smit
Vieri Samek-Lodovici
WIM VANDENBUSSCHE, VRIJE UNIVERSITEIT BRUSSEL
Wini Davies
Youssef Haddad

- Plus 21 anonymous donors

MAJOR SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS

Cascadilla Press
http://www.cascadilla.com/
Continuum International Publishing Group Ltd
http://www.continuumbooks.com
Edinburgh University Press
http://www.eup.ed.ac.uk/
European Language Resources Association - ELRA
http://www.elra.info.
Georgetown University Press
http://www.press.georgetown.edu
Hodder Arnold
http://www.hoddereducation.co.uk
John Benjamins
http://www.benjamins.com/
http://www.benjamins.nl/
Lincom GmbH
http://www.lincom.eu
www.lincom.eu
Mouton de Gruyter
http://www.mouton-publishers.com
Multilingual Matters
http://www.multilingual-matters.com/
Oxford University Press
http://www.oup.com/us
http://www.oup.co.uk
Pagijong Press
http://pjbook.com
Palgrave Macmillan
http://www.palgrave.com
Peter Lang AG
http://www.peterlang.com
Rodopi
http://www.rodopi.nl/
http://www.rodopi.nl
Springer
http://www.springer.com

OTHER SUPPORTING PUBLISHERS
CSLI Publications
http://cslipublications.stanford.edu/
International Pragmatics Assoc.
http://www.ipra.be
Linguistic Assoc. of Finland
http://www.ling.helsinki.fi/sky/
Netherlands Graduate School of Linguistics / Landelijke - LOT
http://www.lotpublications.nl/
SIL International
http://www.ethnologue.com/bookstore.asp
St. Jerome Publishing Ltd.
http://www.stjerome.co.uk

INSTITUTIONS

BAE Systems
Basis Technology
Basis Technology Corporation
BeVocal, Inc
Boston University
Bridgewater State College
Butler Hill Group
CELI s.r.l.
City University of Hong Kong
Comcast
Concordia University
Darmstadt University of Technology
Dongduk Women's University
English School Sunny Plus
Grove City College
Gyeonggi English Village
Hablamos Juntos - UCSF
Haskins Laboratories
Hokkaido University
Humboldt Universität zu Berlin
Indiana University
Indiana University - Bloomington
Ingenuity Systems
Johann Wolfgang Goethe-Universität Frankfurt/Main
Johns Hopkins University
Kent State University
KNOVA Software, Inc.
La Trobe University
LearnBalance Group
Leibniz Universität Hannover
Lexicon Branding, Inc.
Linguistic Data Consortium, University of Pennsylvania
Louisiana State University
Maher Language Institute (MLI)
McGill University
McNeil Technologies, Inc.
Michigan State University
Monterey Institute of International Studies
National Sun Yat-sen University
National Taiwan Normal University
Nemours/AI duPont Hospital for Children
Nordic CoE in Microcomparative Syntax
Northwestern University
Nuance Communications, Inc.
Q-go Netherlands bv
Radboud University Nijmegen
RiverGlass, Inc.
Royal Museum for Central Africa
RPI
RWTH Aachen
San Diego State University
SDL International
Seattle Pacific University
Shenandoah University
Simon Fraser University
SOAS, University of London
Stony Brook University
Systran
SYSTRAN S.A.
SYSTRAN Software, Inc.
The Australian National University
The State University of New York at Buffalo
Tuebingen University
Tufts University
UCSC
University College London
University of Aberdeen
University of Alaska Fairbanks
University of Alberta
University of Arizona
University of British Columbia
University of California, Los Angeles (UCLA)
University of California, San Diego
University of California, Santa Barbara
University of Chicago
University of Cologne
University of Delaware
University of Edinburgh
University of Essex
University of Geneva
University of Groningen, Faculty of Arts
University of Hamburg (Germany)
University of Leeds
University of Mary Washington
University of Maryland
University of Maryland University College
University of Michigan
University of Mississippi
University of Missouri-Rolla
University of Neuchatel