18.1340, Qs: Sibilants; Systematic & Accidental Gaps

Thu May 3 17:29:38 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1340. Thu May 03 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1340, Qs: Sibilants; Systematic & Accidental Gaps

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Kevin Burrows <kevin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 03-May-2007
From: Don Killian < donald.killian at helsinki.fi >
Subject: Sibilants

2)
Date: 01-May-2007
From: James Kirby < jkirby at uchicago.edu >
Subject: Systematic & Accidental Gaps

Date: Thu, 03 May 2007 13:28:19
From: Don Killian < donald.killian at helsinki.fi >

Hi all,

I'm a current graduate student at the University of Helsinki, and for my
thesis I'll be researching one dialect of Finnish spoken in Helsinki, in
which sibilants tend to be pronounced more sharply, perhaps either as
dental or perhaps as more apical.  (I need to research that still).  I'll
be comparing phonetic features between standard Finnish /s/ and the
Helsinki-dialect variety.

I was looking for recommendations for any resources anyone might know
regarding research on sibilants in other languages, or also Finnish if you
happen to know of any previous work.  Works focusing on more detailed
analysis of sibilants would be preferred, but survey works or comparitive
studies are also of interest.

I'll post a summary afterwards.  Thank you for your time, and I hope to hear!

Don Killian
Department of Speech Sciences
University of Helsinki

Linguistic Field(s): Phonetics