18.1379, Disc: Discussion on Piraha; History of Biolinguistics

Mon May 7 18:22:12 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1379. Mon May 07 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1379, Disc: Discussion on Piraha; History of Biolinguistics

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 04-May-2007
From: Daniel Everett < dlevere at ilstu.edu >
Subject: Discussion on Piraha

2)
Date: 24-Apr-2007
From: John Goldsmith < ja-goldsmith at uchicago.edu >
Subject: New:  History of Biolinguistics

Date: Mon, 07 May 2007 14:11:18
From: Daniel Everett < dlevere at ilstu.edu >

Ian Goddard's posting on Piraha generics does show that the Immediacy of
Experience Principle that I proposed in Everett (2005) did not carefully
distinguish between generics and universal quantification, which even in a
25,000 page article,  I didn't have time to do.

Generics are something that all languages need. Human evolution has
equipped us to discuss events and entities,  perhaps the most salient facts
about our environment that we must distinguish to survive. Communication
requires them and so does evolution. So we do not expect any culture to get
by without them. But Universal Quantification, on the other hand, is not
required and imposes the idea of exceptionless abstraction beyond
experience, far stronger than generics. So it is missing.

The Pirahas, like many other societies, constrain their discourse in
various ways, including the IEP. Evolution and the nature of communication
impose other constraints. Sorting out the different cultural,
communicational (in this general sense), and biological constraints on
language (for which there is little if any evidence that the biology
includes specifically linguistic constraints) is part of a research program
that needs to be developed further.

A number of items related to these issues will be discussed in a special
issue of The Linguistic Review, still in planning, dedicated to recursion
in human language.

Dan Everett

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics