18.1483, Confs: Semantics/USA

Tue May 15 18:52:33 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1483. Tue May 15 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1483, Confs: Semantics/USA

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Taylor <jeremy at linguistlist.org>

Date: 15-May-2007
From: Tali Ditman < tali.ditman at tufts.edu >
Subject: Building Meaning from Language: Tufts Conference

Date: Tue, 15 May 2007 14:50:32
From: Tali Ditman < tali.ditman at tufts.edu >

Building Meaning from Language: Tufts Conference

Date: 14-Jun-2007 - 16-Jun-2007
Location: Medford, MA, USA
Contact: Gina Kuperberg
Contact Email: psych.conference at tufts.edu
Meeting URL: http://ase.tufts.edu/psychology/conference/

Linguistic Field(s): Semantics

Meeting Description:

Building Meaning from Language: a conference sponsored by Tufts University,
Department of Psychology, and the American Psychological Association.

Dates: Thurs, June 14 (evening) - Sat, June 16, 2007
Location: Tufts University, nr. Boston, MA

Speakers from several fields including Cognitive
Psychology, Linguistics, Psycholinguistics, Philosophy, Computational
Modeling, and Cognitive Neuroscience, will discuss fundamental questions of
how we combine words to construct the meaning of sentences, how we combine
sentences together into connected discourse, how we make use of our prior
perceptual experience and knowledge, how we distinguish between what is
functionally relevant and irrelevant in action, how we represent and
generate constructs such as time, space and causation, and how we integrate
language with our non-verbal world.

Speakers:

Daniel C. Dennett
Morton Ann Gernsbacher
Arthur Glenberg
Ray Jackendoff
David Kemmerer
Walter Kintsch
Gina Kuperberg
Ken McRae
James Pustejovsky
Michael Tanenhaus
Matthew Traxler
Rolf Zwaan

To register and learn more about the conference, please go to:
http://ase.tufts.edu/psychology/conference/