18.1495, Software: Updated MiniJudge (judgment experiment software)

Wed May 16 15:51:24 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1495. Wed May 16 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1495, Software: Updated MiniJudge (judgment experiment software)

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Hannah Morales <hannah at linguistlist.org>

Date: 16-May-2007
From: James Myers < lngmyers at ccu.edu.tw >

Date: Wed, 16 May 2007 11:49:04
From: James Myers < lngmyers at ccu.edu.tw >

MiniJudge, a software tool for designing, running, and analyzing
small-scale linguistic judgment experiments, has finally been updated:

http://www.ccunix.ccu.edu.tw/~lngproc/MiniJudge.htm

As always, MiniJudge is aimed at theoretical linguists, especially
syntacticians, who want a quick and reliable way of double-checking
doubtful data, but who have little or no prior experience with
psycholinguistic methods. Its built-in limitations may make it less useful
for experienced experimentalists, but theoreticians who just want quick
answers to basic data questions can go from hypothesis to final analysis
within a few hours (assuming that native speakers are readily accessible).

There are now two versions:

* MiniJudgeJS 1.0:

I think I've finally fixed all of the bugs, and it's now been successfully
tested in Internet Explorer, Firefox, Opera, and Safari (there are still
some glitches in Linux). The most noticeable improvement over the 0.9
version is that the final analysis includes a graph, which makes it easier
to see what the results actually mean, especially interactions. There is
both an English and Chinese (traditional) interface. As before, the code is
entirely client-side, so MiniJudgeJS can be used offline.

* MiniJudgeJava 0.9.9:

This is a version that runs in Java, written by my research assistants
(Tsung-Ying Chen and Yang Chen-Tsung, with instructions by Yu-Guang Ko). It
has a very different look and feel from MiniJudgeJS and some of the
internal algorithms work differently, but the end result should be the
same. The biggest practical difference, compared with MiniJudgeJS, is that
it makes it easier to open and save files.

Both versions pass the statistics over to R, the free software package. The
info page has been expanded to include R code for analyzing experiments
more complex than the default MiniJudge type. The next version of MiniJudge
will probably be able to handle the statistics internally.

MiniJudge is still a work in progress, and isn't as user-friendly as it
will be in later versions. The project is entirely open-source, and
programmers are encouraged to borrow code or ideas for their own software.
Comments, questions, bug reports, and offers to collaborate are most welcome!
Linguistic Field(s): Syntax