18.1534, Qs: Tone Acquisition in 2nd Lg Learners of Mandarin?

Sun May 20 20:48:13 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1534. Sun May 20 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1534, Qs: Tone Acquisition in 2nd Lg Learners of Mandarin?

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Kevin Burrows <kevin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 19-May-2007
From: Mate Kapovic < mate.kapovic2 at gmail.com >

Date: Sun, 20 May 2007 16:40:29
From: Mate Kapovic < mate.kapovic2 at gmail.com >

Dear list members,

my question concerns tone acquisiton of Standard Mandarin Chinese by
Chinese who learn it as a second language (i.e. who are not native speakers
of Standard Mandarin). It is well known that the Chinese tone system is
rather complex and that it is often an important distinctive feature.
Foreigners often have many problems learning to pronounce correctly
Mandarin tones. Is that also true of Chinese learners of Standard Mandarin?
(It must be noted that even other Mandarin dialects have very different
tone systems than Beijing Mandarin dialect.) If so - what are the
consequences?  Do some Chinese speak putonghua without pronouncing the
correct tones or do they use their own native tones in Standard Mandarin?
Do Chinese people have many problems in learning Standard Chinese because
of this?

I would be very thankful for all the replies or comments concerning this
topic. Please send them to the e-mail: mkapovic at ffzg.hr

Thank You in advance,

Mate Kapovic
University of Zagreb