18.1594, Qs: Verbalization and Mixed Categories

Fri May 25 18:36:57 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-1594. Fri May 25 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.1594, Qs: Verbalization and Mixed Categories

Reviews: Laura Welcher, Rosetta Project

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 22-May-2007
From: Hitoshi Horiuchi < Hitoshi_Horiuchi at brown.edu >
Subject: Verbalization and Mixed Categories

Date: Fri, 25 May 2007 14:34:47
From: Hitoshi Horiuchi < Hitoshi_Horiuchi at brown.edu >

Though nominalization seems to be cross-linguistically associated with
mixed categories (i.e., grammatical constructions where a single word
apparently heads both a verbal and a nominal projection simultaneously,
like English gerunds), I am looking for languages (except Japanese) that
allow verbalization to be associated with mixed categories. That is, in
such languages, a single word formed from a nominal base affixed by a
verbalizer seems to head both nominal and verbal projections. If you know
such a language, please let me know it with a concrete data, if possible.
Thank you.

HH

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology
                     Syntax