18.3219, FYI: Steven Pinker: Lecture to benefit ELF, 11/15

Fri Nov 2 15:47:40 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-3219. Fri Nov 02 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.3219, FYI: Steven Pinker: Lecture to benefit ELF, 11/15

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: F. Okki Kurniawan <okki at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Nov-2007
From: Nick Emlen < nqemlen at hotmail.com >
Subject: Steven Pinker: Lecture to benefit ELF, 11/15

Date: Fri, 02 Nov 2007 11:46:02
From: Nick Emlen [nqemlen at hotmail.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-3219.html&submissionid=160161&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Come hear Steven Pinker discuss the Stuff of Thought, his latest book, on
November 15, 2007.

What is the stuff of thought? Ideas? Electrons? Or, as Woody Allen opined,
a substance resembling guacamole?

Pinker says it's words, and he give use great evidence that this is right.
Language helps us think, and it limits us, sometimes all in one sentence.
Ultimately, though, ''language offers the clearest window on how we can
transcend our cognitive and emotional limitations'' (p. 435). Come find out
how.

This lecture will benefit the Endangered Language Fund, a non-profit
organization dedicated to the description and maintenance of the world's
smallest--and most different--languages.

November 15, 2007, 8:00
William James Hall 1, Harvard University
33 Kirkland St.
Cambridge, MA 02138

Admission $20
Students $10