18.3525, All: MA/MSc Support: Attend Eastern Michigan U, Work at LINGUIST List

Mon Nov 26 19:08:03 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-3525. Mon Nov 26 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.3525, All: MA/MSc Support: Attend Eastern Michigan U, Work at LINGUIST List

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 26-Nov-2007
From: Helen Aristar-Dry < hdry at linguistlist.org >
Subject: MA/MSc Support: Attend Eastern Michigan U, Work at LINGUIST

Date: Mon, 26 Nov 2007 14:05:54
From: Helen Aristar-Dry [hdry at linguistlist.org]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-3525.html&submissionid=162294&topicid=1&msgnumber=1

The LINGUIST List is now soliciting expressions of interest from qualified
graduate program applicants for Research Assistantships to begin September 2008.
Be supported while earning your M.A. degree at Eastern Michigan University
(information below) by becoming part of a resource which is a mainstay in the
field of linguistics.  A LINGUIST fellow receives a full tuition waiver (up to
18 credit hours per year) plus a 9-month stipend of approximately $8500 US.

RAs: 1) are in direct, daily contact with the linguistics community, 2) edit and
post announcements for a variety of linguistics related topics, and 3)
contribute in various ways to the development of electronic infrastructure for
the discipline.

LINGUIST List focuses on web design, so RAs have the opportunity to:

*) Learn programs like ColdFusion, Java, Javascript, SQL, Adobe Photoshop, basic
UNIX programming

*)  Actively participate in database design and site development or enhancement
projects.

A third focus of RA work is the development of language technology to support
language documentation. Among some of our recent development projects:

-The GOLD Community of Practice (GOLDComm)
Our newest project, in collaboration with the University of Washington, GOLDComm
aims to offer the average linguist access to large amounts of structured,
searchable linguistic data.

- The LL-MAP project, conducted in partnership with the U. of Stockholm,
involves the development of an interactive map interface showing the
distribution of language resources and language speakers.

- The Multi-Tree project will develop a digital library of all language
relationships hypothesized by scholars.

In an effort to maintain the international character of the list, we welcome
applications from students outside the USA.  Assistantship holders must have a
good command of written English.

DEADLINES TO APPLY
*International students should apply before 10 January 2008.
*US Citizens may submit until March 1, 2008.

For more information about LINGUIST List Assistantships, contact Helen
Aristar-Dry (hdrylinguistlist.org) or Anthony Aristar (aristarlinguistlist.org).

NB: LINGUIST List will be hosting office hours at LSA's January 2008 meeting in
Chicago, Illinois. If you are interested in talking with us about RA work,
please do stop by and see us.

The Eastern Michigan Linguistics Program is a part of the English Language and
Literature administrative unit.  Applicants for a LINGUIST List assistantship
must submit an assistantship application through the English Department. Please
consult the application instructions at:

http://www.emich.edu/english/programs-grad.html

=== About Eastern Michigan University ===
Eastern Michigan University offers a B.A. and M.A. in descriptive and
theoretical linguistics, as well as a post-M.A. Certificate in Language
Technology.  To learn about the EMU linguistics program, visit:

http://www.emich.edu/linguistics/programs/main.html

You may also contact the Linguistics Program Graduate Advisor, Professor Daniel
Seely at tseely at emich.edu.

Students looking for shorter-term opportunities with The LINGUIST List:  watch
for our announcement about Summer Internships, to follow.