18.3565, Support: English & Socioling: MA / MSc Student, Memorial U Newfoundland

Thu Nov 29 14:56:49 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-3565. Thu Nov 29 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.3565, Support: English & Socioling: MA / MSc Student, Memorial U Newfoundland

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 28-Nov-2007
From: Gerard Van Herk < gvanherk at mun.ca >
Subject: English & Sociolinguistics: MA / MSc Student, Memorial University of Newfoundland, St. John's, Canada

Date: Thu, 29 Nov 2007 09:55:31
From: Gerard Van Herk [gvanherk at mun.ca]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-3565.html&submissionid=162542&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: Memorial University of Newfoundland
Department: linguistics
Web Address: http://www.mun.ca/linguistics/home/

Level: MA / MSc

Duties: Research

Specialty Areas: Sociolinguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Memorial University of Newfoundland (MUN) offers funding for graduate research
at the MA and PhD level at the newly established Memorial University
Sociolinguistics Laboratory (MUSL). Current projects within a variationist
paradigm investigate rapid social change, identity, and language maintenance.
The focus is on Newfoundland English, a highly internally diverse dialect, and
historically related varieties, including African American English and Caribbean
English Creoles.

Research advantages include CFI-funded laboratories for sociolinguistics,
phonetics, and aboriginal languages; large sound recording archives, permitting
real-time analyses; Canada's top-ranked comprehensive university library; and
three faculty sociolinguists (two full-time, one emerita), including a Canada
Research Chair.
(http://www.chairs.gc.ca/web/chairholders/viewprofile_e.asp?id=2075&)

Qualified candidates will receive competitive entrance and excellence
scholarships, research and teaching assistantships, and potential teaching
opportunities. All MUN students, including international students, qualify for
government-funded health insurance, and pay tuition fees that are among the
lowest in North America. We are located in St. John's, an attractive
culture-friendly city with a temperate maritime climate and affordable housing.

For general information about our graduate programs and submitting an
application, consult the Linguistics Department website listed above.

Application Deadline: 01-Feb-2008

Web Address for Applications: http://www.mun.ca/sgs/home/

Contact Information:
	Gerard Van Herk