18.2856, All: Obituary: Peter Hans Nelde

Mon Oct 1 17:45:39 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2856. Mon Oct 01 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2856, All: Obituary:  Peter Hans Nelde

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 30-Sep-2007
From: Wolf Wölck < wwolck at buffalo.edu >
Subject: Obituary:  Peter Hans Nelde

Date: Mon, 01 Oct 2007 13:43:53
From: Wolf Wölck [wwolck at buffalo.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2856.html&submissionid=157721&topicid=1&msgnumber=1

Dr. Peter Hans Nelde, Professor of Germanic Linguistics and Director of the
Research Center on Multilingualism at the Catholic University of Brussels
(Belgium), died on August 31, 2007 after a long illness.

He established 'contact linguistics' as an integral part of our discipline,
supported by annual international symposia on 'Contact + Confli(c)t'
between linguistic minorities and majorities, and through the series
'Plurilingua', which he maintained as editor-in-chief. Peter Nelde had
taught at the universities of Buffalo, Gent, Leipzig, Nijmegen and Vienna
and directed the international research project on linguistic diversity
(LINEE) sponsored by the European Union. His long list of publications
includes the International Handbook on Contact Linguistics (1996/97) and
the EUROMOSAIC reports on the linguistic minorities of Europe (1996, 2004).
Peter Nelde had occupied the Leibniz Chair at the University of Leipzig and
was a Knight of the Royal Belgian Court.

Linguistic Field(s): Not Applicable