18.2865, Jobs: English & Comp Ling: User Interface Design Engineer, Nuance

Tue Oct 2 16:49:01 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2865. Tue Oct 02 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2865, Jobs: English & Comp Ling: User Interface Design Engineer, Nuance

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Oct-2007
From: Deanna Roe < deanna.roe at nuance.com >
Subject: English & Computational Linguistics: User Interface Design Engineer, Nuance Communications, London, UK

Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 12:47:25
From: Deanna Roe [deanna.roe at nuance.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2865.html&submissionid=157903&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Nuance Communications
Department: Professional Services
Web Address: http://www.nuance.com

Job Rank: User Interface Design Engineer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Required Language(s): English (eng)

Nuance is the leading provider of speech and imaging solutions for
businesses and consumers around the world.  Every day, millions of users
and thousands of businesses experience Nuance by calling directory
assistance, requesting account information, dictating patient records,
telling a navigation system their destination, or digitally reproducing
documents that can be shared and searched. With more than 2000 employees
worldwide, we are currently looking to strengthen our international team
with an:

UI Design Engineer, Location: London

Speech represents the next great leap forward in control of automated
systems.  As a Design Engineer, you will support multiple Design Leaders,
creating a successful experience in this new medium for tens of thousands
of callers each day.  Within a framework laid out by a Design Leader, you
may design component dialogs for callers to accomplish specific tasks, or
you may specify fallback and error-recovery behavior based on
human-to-human etiquette, yet meant to maximize outcomes in the automated
system.  You will be responsible for discovering and designing for all
boundary conditions which these applications must deal with, whether they
stem from caller behavior or database behavior.  In performing these tasks,
you will apply industry-leading standards for user engagement, expert
knowledge of speech recognition, synthesis, and dialog technology, and
professional intuition about what it takes to actively engage a user and
build a reciprocal sense of collaboration within a single phone call.  As a
Design Engineer, you'll be expected to complement the vision of our clients
and Design Leaders, while always providing your own critical perspective on
maximizing callers' and clients' success.

Responsibilities:
-  Contribute to effective speech user interface designs, specifying call
flow, dialogs, and prompts
-  Ensure the integrity of our specifications:  modifying them to satisfy
evolving client requirements; detailing recognizer & dialog manager
behavior; and coordinating visual, detail, and conversational views on
these specifications
-  Assist in implementing these designs, including interacting with
developers, directing voice talents, processing audio, and QA'ing prompt
inventories and applications
-  Define, organize, execute, and report on Usability Tests for a wide
variety of applications
-  Analyze performance of the user interface in the field and recommend
specific changes to improve caller satisfaction and transaction completion.
-  Implement desirable design changes discovered in usability and in the field

Who you are:
You must supply the following credentials:
-  BS or equivalent experience in human factors engineering, product
interface design, cognitive science, experimental psychology, technical
writing, or a similar degree
-  Either a Master's degree in Human Factors/CHI, technical writing, OR 2+
years industry experience in user-centered design or data analysis
-  Native-level English fluency
-  Experience in usability testing

Strong candidates will also have the following:
-  Professional or college-level experience with speech recognition
software and/or involving telephony
-  Experience with Natural Language speech user interface design
-  Demonstrable audio engineering experience and flair
-  Professional writing experience
-  Experience working in a recording studio, as or with professional voice
talent
-  Programming skills in Perl and/or VB

Application Deadline: 02-Jan-2008 (Open until filled)

Email Address for Applications: deanna.roe at nuance.com
Contact Information:
	Deanna Roe
	Email: deanna.roe at nuance.com