18.2879, Jobs: Syntax, Phonology: Asst Prof, University of Utah

Tue Oct 2 21:00:38 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2879. Tue Oct 02 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2879, Jobs: Syntax, Phonology: Asst Prof, University of Utah

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Oct-2007
From: Edward Rubin < erubin at linguistics.utah.edu >
Subject: Syntax, Phonology: Asst Prof, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, USA

Date: Tue, 02 Oct 2007 16:59:02
From: Edward Rubin [erubin at linguistics.utah.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2879.html&submissionid=157929&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Utah
Department: Department of Linguistics
Web Address: http://www.linguistics.utah.edu/

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Phonology; Syntax

The Department of Linguistics at the University of Utah invites
applications for a tenure-line position to begin July 1, 2008, pending
budgetary approval. Although we anticipate hiring at the rank of Assistant
Professor, a more senior appointment is possible in exceptional
circumstances. The PhD must be completed by the time of appointment.

The successful applicant will have a primary specialization in theoretical
syntax or phonology. We prefer applications from candidates with a
secondary specialization, especially in, but not limited to, the
documentation of American Indian languages. Though not required, expertise
in securing external funding for research will be considered an asset.
Preference will be given to candidates whose research interests mesh with
those of the present faculty and who will contribute actively to the
success of the department's research and teaching missions.

Duties require a sustained research program, the mentorship of graduate
and/or undergraduate student-scholars, a normal teaching load of 4 courses
per year, and departmental and/or university service. Salary is
competitive, and commensurate with abilities and experience. The University
of Utah offers a generous benefits package and research support.

The Search Committee will  begin screening applicants on November 20, 2007,
and the position will remain open until filled. Candidates should send a
letter of application, a CV, and representative scholarly publications to
the address below. Candidates should arrange to have three letters of
reference sent directly to the same address. Candidates should please
indicate whether they will attend the LSA meeting in Chicago.

All materials should be sent to Edward Rubin, Chair, Syntax/Phonology
Search Committee at the address given below.

The University of Utah values candidates who have experience working in
settings with students from diverse backgrounds, and who possess a
commitment to improving access to higher education for historically
underrepresented students. Moreover, the University of Utah is an Equal
Opportunity / Affirmative Action employer, and encourages applications from
women and minorities, and provides reasonable accommodation to the known
disabilities of applicants and employees.

Application Deadline: 08-Jan-2008 (Open until filled)
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Professor Edward Rubin
	Chair, Syntax/Phonology Search Committee
	Department of Linguistics
	255 S. Central Campus Dr., Rm. 2300
	Salt Lake City, UT 84112
	USA