18.2883, Diss: Morphology/Semantics/Syntax: Levinson: The Roots of Verbs

Wed Oct 3 14:29:17 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2883. Wed Oct 03 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2883, Diss: Morphology/Semantics/Syntax: Levinson: The Roots of Verbs

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz <luiza at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Oct-2007
From: Lisa Levinson < levinson at oakland.edu >
Subject: The Roots of Verbs

Date: Wed, 03 Oct 2007 10:28:00
From: Lisa Levinson [levinson at oakland.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2883.html&submissionid=157904&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: New York University
Program: Department of Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2007

Author: Lisa Levinson

Dissertation Title: The Roots of Verbs

Dissertation URL:  http://personalwebs.oakland.edu/~levinson/writing/dissertation.html

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology
                     Semantics
                     Syntax

Dissertation Director(s):
Richard Kayne
Liina Pylkkänen

Dissertation Abstract:

Theories of lexical semantics and syntactic decomposition usually make a
distinction between the role of the 'idiosyncratic' lexical component of
words, the 'constant' or 'root', and that of the functional elements which
are shared between different members of a word class. Understanding the
properties of such lexical building blocks is central to our understanding
of language. However, most work thus far has focused on the functional
building blocks. In particular, there has been little work addressing the
formal semantics of lexical roots. In this dissertation, I focus on a
particular class of verbs, implicit creation verbs, and argue that these
are derived from roots which denote predicates of individuals. These verbs
are contrasted with verbs derived from roots of different types, toward the
goal of developing a complete ontology of roots. I argue that many of the
generalizations derived in other work from syntactic categories can in fact
be derived from semantic root type. The analysis presented for the
compositional construction of verbs has consequences for the nature of
lexical decomposition, the analysis of resultative secondary predicates,
the analysis of verb particles, and the relationship between syntactic and
semantic categories.