18.2913, Jobs: Sociophonetics: Research Assistants, University of York

Fri Oct 5 21:13:22 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2913. Fri Oct 05 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2913, Jobs: Sociophonetics: Research Assistants, University of York

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 05-Oct-2007
From: Dominic Watt < dw539 at york.ac.uk >
Subject: Sociophonetics: Research Assistants, University of York, Heslington, York, United Kingdom

Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:12:00
From: Dominic Watt [dw539 at york.ac.uk]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2913.html&submissionid=158162&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of York
Department: Department of Language and Linguistic Science
Web Address: http://www.york.ac.uk/depts/lang

Job Rank: Research Assistants

Specialty Areas: Sociolinguistics; Sociophonetics

Two Research Assistantships are available on the ESRC-funded project
'Linguistic Variation and National Identities on the Scottish/English
Border', in which patterns of phonological variation and change in four
border localities will be linked to social and attitudinal data relating to
local/regional/national identities and perceptions of linguistic variation.

You will conduct fieldwork, undertake both quantitative auditory/acoustic
phonetic and qualitative data analysis, and participate in the
dissemination of findings. You will hold, or be close to completing, a PhD
in sociophonetics and/or phonological variation and change. Previous
experience of fieldwork and/or speech perception experimentation is also
advantageous. Relevant training will be provided where necessary.
Excellent IT proficiency and time management skills are required.

The starting salary will be £26,666 per annum. The posts are available on a
fixed term basis for up to 36 months.

Informal inquiries can be made by contacting either Dr Dominic Watt, phone:
+44-1904-432671, email: dw539 at york.ac.uk or Dr Carmen Llamas, phone:
+44-1904-432618, email: cl558 at york.ac.uk.

Closing date for applications: 12.00 noon on Wednesday 31 October 2007.

For further particulars and details of how to apply, please see our website
or write to the Personnel Office, quoting reference number AR07404.

The University of York is committed to diversity and has policies and
developmental programmes in place to promote equality of opportunity.

Application Deadline: 31-Oct-2007
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Personnel Office
	University of York