18.2915, FYI: Carlota S. Smith Memorial Fellowship

Fri Oct 5 21:34:03 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2915. Fri Oct 05 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2915, FYI: Carlota S. Smith Memorial Fellowship

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

Date: 02-Oct-2007
From: Richard Meier < rmeier at mail.utexas.edu >
Subject: Carlota S. Smith Memorial Fellowship

Date: Fri, 05 Oct 2007 17:32:02
From: Richard Meier [rmeier at mail.utexas.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2915.html&submissionid=157941&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Dear Friends and Colleagues of Professor Carlota S. Smith,

We, the family, friends, and colleagues of Carlota Smith, were greatly
saddened by Carlota's death on May 24, 2007.  We are establishing a
memorial endowment to honor her work and her positive presence in the lives
of so many people.

Carlota connected strongly with people from many fields and backgrounds,
but above all she was an outstanding linguist.  Her scholarly
accomplishments began as a graduate student at a time when the modern field
of linguistics was just starting and continued up to the last days of her
life.  Her work was noteworthy in several areas, most recently in how
languages express time, but also in language acquisition, language and
literature, and Navajo, Mandarin, and French linguistics.  She was a
compelling presence for colleagues and students in the Department of
Linguistics at The University of Texas at Austin and was a strong advocate
for women throughout the university.  To learn more about Carlota's career,
please visit the memorial web page that the Department of Linguistics has
established in her honor.  You may also wish to contribute your thoughts to
 that page:

http://www.utexas.edu/cola/depts/linguistics/carlota.html

Throughout her career Carlota was greatly concerned about the dearth of
financial support available for graduate students in linguistics.  A
graduate fellowship enabled Carlota, a young mother with two children, to
study linguistics and launch her stellar career.  She worked hard while at
Texas to bring outside resources into the department for colleagues and
students.  Yet, as some of you may know, there is still not a single
endowed scholarship or fellowship that is specifically dedicated to
linguistics students at The University of Texas.

We think the most fitting way to commemorate Carlota's distinguished career
and generous life is by creating a Carlota S. Smith Memorial Fellowship for
graduate students in linguistics.  Our goal is to raise $100,000 for
graduate support in the Department of Linguistics, with the first Carlota
S. Smith Graduate Fellow to be announced in May 2008.

We have already contributed more than $60,000 toward this goal.  We are
calling on Carlota's many friends and colleagues to help fully fund this
endeavor.  We ask for your support in whatever amount you can give in order
to make this graduate fellowship in Carlota's name a reality.

There are two ways to donate to the Carlota S. Smith Memorial Fellowship:

1) Electronically:
https://utdirect.utexas.edu/nlogon/vip/ogp.WBX?menu=LA**

Under (1) Select ''Liberal Arts, College of''
In the indented field under (1), select ''Linguistics, Dept of''  [instead
of ''Area of Greatest Need in Liberal Arts'']. In the type-in box, type:
Carlota S. Smith Memorial Fellowship Under (2), type in your name, address,
 credit card, etc..

Please note that, if you or your spouse or partner is employed by a company
that provides matching gifts, you can include the Employer Name on this
webform.

2) Check.  Make a check out to The University of Texas at Austin. In the
memo line, indicate Carlota S. Smith Memorial Fellowship.

Please send your check to:
Kathleen Aronson, Assistant Dean for Development
College of Liberal Arts
1 University Station, G-6300
The University of Texas
Austin, Texas 78712
USA

In the lower left of your envelope, you may want to indicate: Attn: Carlota
S. Smith Memorial Fellowship

We are very grateful for your generosity to the memory of Carlota's life
and to the profession which she loved so deeply.

Very Truly Yours,

Richard P. Meier
Nora C. England
John A. Robertson