18.2962, FYI: New PhD Program: Languages, Cultures & Literacies

Thu Oct 11 17:58:00 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2962. Thu Oct 11 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2962, FYI: New PhD Program: Languages, Cultures & Literacies

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: F. Okki Kurniawan <okki at linguistlist.org>

Date: 11-Oct-2007
From: Huamei Han < huamei_han at sfu.ca >

Date: Thu, 11 Oct 2007 13:56:38
From: Huamei Han [huamei_han at sfu.ca]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2962.html&submissionid=158581&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

New PhD Program @ Simon Fraser University, Burnaby Campus, British
Columbia, Canada

Languages, Cultures and Literacies Doctoral Program

This PhD program is designed for educators who wish to focus on the
cultural and linguistic diversity that characterizes contemporary
classrooms globally, who wish to participate in ongoing faculty research,
and ultimately conduct their own research regarding how diversity might be
recognized, strengthened and taken as a resource in public education. The
program's instructors are committed to practices of equity and access.
Courses offer a range of opportunities to question meanings and practices
of social difference including those
based on race, gender, language, class, and sexuality. The program pays
close attention to dialogue across difference. We uniquely model this in
the structure of our program, as students will interact in every class
session with three professors, each contributing their varied expertise.

Strong statements have been recently made about the necessity for graduate
students in education to be involved from the outset of their graduate
education in collaborative interdisciplinary work with colleagues
(Eisenhart and DeHaan, 2005).  This program explicitly attempts to set up a
doctoral program in which students will learn interdisciplinary research
methods, participate in educational research projects with mentors, have
opportunities to report on that research, and finally to conduct their own
research projects for their
dissertations.  Through this work, they will also become familiar with
current theory and practice in their specific fields of interest.

For more information, please see:

http://www.educ.sfu.ca/~educgp/doctoral/lcl/index.html

Linguistic Field(s): Anthropological Linguistics
                     Applied Linguistics
                     Discourse Analysis
                     Language Acquisition
                     Sociolinguistics