18.2973, Jobs: English & Second Language Acquisition: Asst Prof, U of Arizona

Fri Oct 12 15:21:59 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2973. Fri Oct 12 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2973, Jobs: English & Second Language Acquisition: Asst Prof, U of Arizona

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Oct-2007
From: Christine Kiesel < ckiesel at email.arizona.edu >
Subject: English & Second Language Acquisition: Asst Prof, University of Arizona, Tucson, AZ, USA

Date: Fri, 12 Oct 2007 11:20:56
From: Christine Kiesel [ckiesel at email.arizona.edu]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2973.html&submissionid=158541&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Arizona
Department: English
Web Address: http://english.arizona.edu/

Job Rank: Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Language Acquisition; Syntax; Second Language Acquisition

Required Language(s): English (eng)

The Program in English Language/Linguistics in the Department of English,
University of Arizona, invites applications for a full-time tenure-track
position of Assistant Professor in the field of English linguistics and
second language acquisition in ESL, to begin August 2008. The selected
candidate must be prepared to teach courses in English linguistics and
second language acquisition in the MA/ESL degree program and in the
interdisciplinary PhD program in Second Language Acquisition and Teaching
(SLAT), as well as at the undergraduate level. (All EL/L faculty also serve
in the SLAT program.) The individual selected will be expected to conduct
an active program of professional research and publication, and contribute
to the Department's commitment to University and community service.

Given the strongly multicultural and multilingual nature of our program, we
expect to attract candidates with experience and interest in working with
diverse students, colleagues, and communities. We particularly encourage
applications from women and underrepresented minorities. The Department is
located within the College of Humanities, which also includes Africana
Studies and East Asian Studies, as well as other language departments. The
University of Arizona aims to be a Hispanic-serving institution, and the
English Department and the EL/L program seek to expand our work with
underrepresented cultures and under served constituencies.

Additional Minimum Qualifications:
- Knowledge of current generative approaches to syntactic theory
- Knowledge of current issues in ELT/SLA
- Evidence of effective teaching
- Demonstration of a highly promising trajectory in research and publication
- PhD awarded by August 2008

Preferred qualifications:
- Teaching experience in the ESL/ELT field
- Shared commitment to cultural and linguistic diversity
- Proficiency in a second language
- Ability to teach graduate courses in one or more of the following
additional areas: L2 Phonology, Contrastive Rhetoric, Language and Culture
in ESL, Ethnography of Communication, Cognitive or Functional models of
grammar, International experience

For full details and the online application form, see the posting at
https://www.uacareertrack.com (cite job #39283). Include letter of
application, curriculum vitae, statement of teaching philosophy, and a
representative writing/publication sample in the online application. Please
send three letters of reference and a transcript of graduate coursework
directly to: Professor Rudolph Troike at the address given below.

Review of completed applications will begin October 20, 2007 and continue
until the position is filled. Interviews with finalists will be by
telephone. For more information on the English Department and the EL/L and
SLAT programs, go to http://english.arizona.edu/.

The University of Arizona is an EEO/AA Employer M/W/D/V.

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Professor Rudolph Troike
	Chair, EL/L Search Committee, Department of English
	P.O. Box 210067
	University of Arizona
	Tucson, AZ 85721-0067
	USA