18.3089, All: Wikipedia Update Project, Focus: Sociolinguistics

Mon Oct 22 15:30:06 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-3089. Mon Oct 22 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.3089, All: Wikipedia Update Project, Focus: Sociolinguistics

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Ann Sawyer <sawyer at linguistlist.org>

http://linguistlist.org/LL/posttolinguist.html

Date: 19-Oct-2007
From: Roxana Newman < roxana at linguistlist.org >

Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 11:26:13
From: Roxana Newman [roxana at linguistlist.org]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-3089.html&submissionid=159191&topicid=1&msgnumber=1

Dear Subscribers and Readers,

We are now well into the academic year, when many linguistics students have
undoubtedly been clicking away on their well-worn bookmark to Wikipedia to
check out topics for their class assignments. And what a wealth of
information there is for them to consult. Were you aware that there are
already hundreds and hundreds of Wikipedia pages and articles, each with
numerous links to other articles and subfields, for the field of
linguistics alone!

As you may recall, The LINGUIST List started a "Wikipedia Update Project"
in mid-June in response to a pledge we had made to you to organize such an
effort. We reasoned that those who might be in the best position to
make any corrections and additions would be you, our community of 25,000
scholars and readers that make up the readership of LINGUIST. A recent
chronicler of the Wikipedia phenomenon has suggested that academics need to
accept its open-based collaborative model and view further contributions to
it as a unique form of community service scholarship: "We are in a position
to contribute to the construction of individual articles in a uniquely
positive way by taking the time to help clean up and provide balance to
entries in our professional areas of interest" (Daniel Paul O'Donnell, If I
were "You": How Academics Can Stop Worrying and Learn to Love "the
Encyclopedia that Anyone Can Edit." The Heroic Age. Issue 10, May 2007;
http://www.heroicage.org).

We are more than half-way through the time we had set aside for this
project, which is to the end of December 2007. While we have made some
headway, we have frankly not received as great a response from volunteers
as we had hoped for. In our last update call, we drew your attention to
Wikipedia's own pages of article "stubs" in the subfields of morphology,
phonetics, syntax, and, earlier, biographies of linguists. Would any of our
readers be willing to check out such flagged stubs as, e.g. benefactive
case, continuant, dependency grammar, and Ilse Lehiste, currently listed in
those pages?

The target of today's letter is sociolinguistics. Please consider the short
list of stub articles under sociolinguistics that is appended to this
message,noted with their Wikipedia URLs and a short explanation of what is
needed.

To edit any Wikipedia page, click on the link, "Edit this article," located
at the top of the screen.  After you have typed in your changes and saved
them, the new text will become immediately available to other online
readers.  Please keep in mind Wikipedia's guidelines, found at:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wikipedia:Five_pillars

And please be sure to let us know of any editing activities you do on
behalf of our Wikipedia Update Project. We will even help you post it to
Wikipedia if you send us the text.

In the meantime, we gratefully acknowledge the contributions of the
following people who have provided these latest updates to linguistics
articles:
--Biolinguistics - addition by Anna-Maria Di Sciullo, University of Québec
at Montréal
--List of linguists - additions by Oliver Steven, SIL
--R.M.R. Hall - created by Procrastinatrix
--Yaghan language - updated by Jess Tauber, Oakland, NJ
--Tamil language - updated by Sanford Steever and E. Annamalai
--Rochelle Lieber - created by Patricia Irwin, New York University

You are welcome to track the overall progress of our collective efforts at:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/User:Linguistlist

As always, the LINGUIST List is grateful for your continued participation
in the Wikipedia Update Project. We would be delighted to hear from you if
you have any questions or points of discussion to share. Please contact us
at: hannah at linguistlist.org, or roxana at linguistlist.org.

Best regards,
Roxana Ma Newman and Hannah Morales

SOCIOLINGUISTIC STUBS
Apparent-time hypothesis (incomplete--empty links: age graded variation,
real-time):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Apparent-time_hypothesis

Code shifting (incomplete):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Code_shifting

Decreolization (incomplete--empty link to Keith Whinnom):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Decreolization

Dialect levelling (incomplete):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialect_levelling

Dialectology (incomplete--section on data collection methods):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dialectology

Diaphone (incomplete):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaphone_%28linguistics%29

Diaspora language (incomplete--references missing):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diaspora_language

Jargon code (incomplete):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jargon_code

Language convergence (incomplete):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_convergence

Language merger (incomplete--references missing):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Language_merger

Linguistic divergence (incomplete):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linguistic_divergence

Mergant dialect (incomplete):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mergant_dialect

Real-time hypothesis (article missing)

Sociolect (incomplete):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sociolect

Sound change (incomplete--references missing):
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sound_change

Variable vs variant (in sociolinguistics) (article missing)

Variationist sociolinguistics (article missing)

                     Sociolinguistics