18.2636, Diss: Lang Doc, Morphology, Semantics, Syntax: Lillehaugen: 'Expres...'

Mon Sep 10 18:49:34 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2636. Mon Sep 10 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2636, Diss: Lang Doc, Morphology, Semantics, Syntax: Lillehaugen: 'Expres...'

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Hunter Lockwood <hunter at linguistlist.org>

Date: 07-Sep-2007
From: Brook Lillehaugen < brook.lillehaugen at gmail.com >
Subject: Expressing Location in Tlacolula Valley Zapotec

Date: Mon, 10 Sep 2007 14:47:48
From: Brook Lillehaugen [brook.lillehaugen at gmail.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2636.html&submissionid=155693&topicid=14&msgnumber=1

Institution: University of California, Los Angeles
Program: Department of Linguistics
Dissertation Status: Completed
Degree Date: 2006

Author: Brook Danielle Lillehaugen

Dissertation Title: Expressing Location in Tlacolula Valley Zapotec

Dissertation URL:  http://stores.lulu.com/sheriver

Linguistic Field(s): Language Documentation
                     Morphology
                     Semantics
                     Syntax

Subject Language(s): Zapotec, San Juan Guelavía (zab)

Dissertation Director(s):
Pamela Munro

Dissertation Abstract:

This dissertation examines how location is expressed linguistically in
Tlacolula Valley Zapotec (TVZ), discussing syntactic and semantic issues
specifically related to  component part prepositions (CPP) and positional
verbs.

Chapter 1 provides background on the language sources, my research
methodology, a brief grammatical sketch of Tlacolula de Matamoros Zapotec,
and an introduction to topics relevant to the expression of location.

In Chapter 2 I look closely at CPPs and how they function in TVZ grammar,
describing their syntactic behavior and arguing that they should be
classified as prepositions.

Chapter 3 examines the meaning and use of the CPPs in a wide range of
locative and non-locative constructions.  I show that an important part of
the meaning of a CPP is the range of frames of reference it allows and that
Grounds can constrain the types of frames of reference that can be used
with them.  Data from Zapotec child language acquisition shows that
children can acquire the meaning of CPPs independently of referential
component parts.  Finally, I propose possible paths of language change to
account for the synchronic behavior of component part prepositions.

Chapter 4 provides typological evidence showing that the syntactic
realization (preposition or relational noun) of a component part locative
is not predictable from its meaning, nor is the type meaning predictable
from its syntactic realization.

Finally, in Chapter 5 I analyze the system of positional verbs in TVZ,
describing their syntactic and semantic behavior.