18.2742, Confs: Pragmatics/Netherlands

Sat Sep 22 11:04:18 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2742. Sat Sep 22 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2742, Confs: Pragmatics/Netherlands

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Jeremy Taylor <jeremy at linguistlist.org>

Date: 20-Sep-2007
From: Kieran O'Halloran < k.a.ohalloran at open.ac.uk >
Subject: 2nd International Conference on the Pragmatic Web

Date: Sat, 22 Sep 2007 07:02:43
From: Kieran O'Halloran [k.a.ohalloran at open.ac.uk]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2742.html&submissionid=156841&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

2nd International Conference on the Pragmatic Web

Date: 22-Oct-2007 - 23-Oct-2007
Location: Tilburg, Netherlands
Contact: Simon Buckingham Shum
Contact Email: sbs at acm.org
Meeting URL: http://www.PragmaticWeb.info

Linguistic Field(s): Pragmatics

Meeting Description:

Trust and Commitment: Whether we look at our geo-political and
environmental context, work within and between organizations, or our local
communities, there has never been a greater need for understanding across
cultural, intellectual, and other boundaries.

Whether the context is international policy, distributed teamwork, e-
business, or community mobilisation, fundamentally, people must build
trust and commitment to common goals by talking and acting together.

What role does the Web have to play in these complex processes?

Keynote Speaker:
Wolfgang Prinz, Fraunhofer FIT and Aachen University, Germany

Get Pragmatic: The study of ''pragmatics'' is driven by an interest in
action. It illuminates how it is that we manage to evolve mutual
understanding and commitments in conversation. Central to this perspective is
the understanding that the meaning of everything we say and do is contextual.
When contexts change, meanings change in conversations,
documents, and models of the world. This is something that we manage
fluently in face-to-face conversation, but when working on the Web over
space and time, tools must still support adaptation to new contexts. A
focus on pragmatics draws attention to how communicative actions are
performed via Web media.

Conference chairs:
Simon Buckingham Shum, The Open University, UK
Mikael Lind, University College of Borås, Sweden
Hans Weigand, Tilburg University, The Netherlands

For further information on the Pragmatic Web community and conference, plus full
Registration details, go to: www.PragmaticWeb.info