18.2761, Qs: Syllabic Weight Based on Syntactic Positioning?

Mon Sep 24 16:43:57 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2761. Mon Sep 24 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2761, Qs: Syllabic Weight Based on Syntactic Positioning?

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Dan Parker <dan at linguistlist.org>

Date: 22-Sep-2007
From: David Iannucci < yvathvfgyvfg at punchcutter.ml1.net >

Date: Mon, 24 Sep 2007 12:42:26
From: David Iannucci [yvathvfgyvfg at punchcutter.ml1.net]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2761.html&submissionid=157081&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I wonder if anyone out there is familiar with a language which maintains
a distinction of syllabic weight with grammatical implications, but in
which weight can be determined either by segmental make-up (e.g. having
coda or long vowel) or by position in a grammatical constituent?

I'm working with a dead language (Chitimacha) for which Swadesh claimed
that even simple CV (short vowel) syllables are classified as ''heavy''
when they appear in word-initial, or in phrase-final position (and light
elsewhere). Furthermore, although CV syllables in these positions are
heavy, they are a little ''less heavy'' than those which are segmentally
heavy.  The author unfortunately does not justify these claims with
examples of the grammatical effects which obtain from these
weight classes.

Does this ring a bell for anyone?  If so, can you point me to
literature, or even just the name of a language that is documented as
having a similar phonology?

Thanks,
Dave Iannucci
University of Utah