18.2791, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, Ingenuity Systems

Wed Sep 26 14:54:10 UTC 2007

LINGUIST List: Vol-18-2791. Wed Sep 26 2007. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 18.2791, Jobs: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, Ingenuity Systems

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 25-Sep-2007
From: Danelle Blondin < dblondin at ingenuity.com >
Subject: Computational Linguistics: Programmer, Ingenuity Systems, Redwood City, CA, USA

Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 10:52:18
From: Danelle Blondin [dblondin at ingenuity.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=18-2791.html&submissionid=157322&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Ingenuity Systems
Web Address: http://www.ingenuity.com

Job Rank: Programmer

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics; General Linguistics

Natural Language Processing (NLP) Developer for Biomedical, Health and Life
Sciences

Ingenuity is a company of creative, energetic people helping life science
researchers understand the biological mechanisms that cause human disease.
 Ingenuity's industry-leading technology platform was built by our team of
entrepreneurial researchers, scientists and engineers that are passionate
about improving human health through the intelligent use of semantic
technologies.  We have used this technology to develop the industry leading
analytic platform for pathway analysis and systems biology research, and
are now expanding to develop new solutions for the life sciences and
healthcare markets.  We are passionate about our users, our products, our
technology and our vision, and are looking for intelligent, talented and
entrepreneurial developers who are eager to join our world-class team.

Position Description & Responsibilities:
In this position, you will be responsible for leading the development of
several core software components that will become part of our semantic
search technology platform. You will report directly to the CTO and work
closely with all members of our talented and experienced technical and
scientific team.

You will be responsible for all aspects of linguistic software development,
including architecture, design, coding, documentation, QA, deployment and
management. Additionally, since you will be working on key components of
our core technology platform, you will have the unique opportunity to
significantly impact the success of our products and company.

The ideal candidate for this position will possess a strong understanding
of computational linguistic fundamentals, particularly in NLP, Information
Retrieval (IR) and Information Extraction methods, have a strong track
record for applying these techniques in medicine, biology and genomics, and
be able to solve complex new engineering problems in these areas.
Experience with search engine architectures, large-scale ontologies, and
semantic web technology development is a strong plus.

Education, Skills & Experience Required:
-  Natural language processing (NLP) experience, particularly computational
linguistics and knowledge-based NLP.
-  Strong training in lexical semantics (syntax, morphology, semantics, etc).
-  Experience in applying NLP and IR techniques, including entity
recognition, fact extraction, and semantic disambiguation.
-  Demonstrated knowledge of current research trends, techniques and in IR
and NLP as applied to biomedicine, biology and genomics information.
-  Experience or demonstrated knowledge of machine learning techniques,
particularly as related to statistical natural language processing.
-  Must be familiar with Semantic Web concepts, including ontologies,
knowledge representation and reasoning.
-  Strong programming skills in Java and Python, with a focus on
high-performance text and linguistic processing.

Education, Skills & Experience Desired:
-  Specific experience working with MeSH, UMLS, Gene Ontology, and other
biomedical ontologies.
-  Knowledge of language / writing conventions in the life sciences and
what makes them different from other fields.
-  Participation in BioCreative, TREC or SIGIR a strong plus
-  Experience with natural language generation and summarization approaches
-  Experience developing with formal ontologies and controlled vocabularies
-  Research background and publications in refereed conferences is a plus
-  Experience with search engine and data mining technologies and
architectures a strong plus

Email Address for Applications: jobs at ingenuity.com
Contact Information:
	Danelle Blondin