19.1249, Jobs: Syntax And/or Morphology: Visiting Asst Professor, Carleton U

Sun Apr 13 02:54:11 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1249. Sat Apr 12 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1249, Jobs: Syntax And/or Morphology: Visiting Asst Professor, Carleton U

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 10-Apr-2008
From: Randall Gess < randall_gess at carleton.ca >
Subject: Syntax And/or Morphology: Visiting Assistant Professor, Carleton University, Ottawa, ON, Canada

Date: Sat, 12 Apr 2008 22:50:13
From: Randall Gess [randall_gess at carleton.ca]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1249.html&submissionid=175021&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Carleton University
Department: School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies
Job Location: Ontario, Canada
Web Address: http://www.carleton.ca/slals/index.html

Job Rank: Visiting Assistant Professor

Specialty Areas: Syntax; Morphology

The School of Linguistics and Applied Language Studies of Carleton
University invites applications for a one-year term position in Linguistics
at the level of Assistant Professor, commencing July 1, 2008. Candidates
should have a PhD (or nearly completed PhD) in Linguistics with a
specialization in syntax and/or morphology, and demonstrated excellence in
teaching. The successful candidate will be expected to teach undergraduate
courses to a culturally diverse student body. The courses (five) will be
Syntax, Morphology, Language Typology and Universals, a 3000-level Special
Topics course of her/his choosing (subject to approval), and another to be
determined.

The School's BA program in General Linguistics, which provides students
with a strong formal background, is housed in a unit representing a rich
diversity of perspectives on language, with courses in Linguistics, Applied
Language Studies, Arabic, American Sign Language, Chinese (Mandarin),
German, Italian, Japanese, Russian and Spanish, as well as Communication
Courses for Disciplines and Professions, and courses in English as a Second
Language for international students, immigrants and refugees. Detailed
information on the School and our programs can be found at the website
listed above.  All qualified candidates are encouraged to apply, but in
accordance with Canadian immigration requirements, applications from
Canadians and permanent residents will be given priority.

Carleton University is strongly committed to fostering diversity within its
community as a source of excellence, cultural enrichment and social
strength. We welcome those who would contribute to the further
diversification of our faculty and its scholarship, including but not
limited to women, visible minorities, Aboriginal peoples, persons with
disabilities, and persons of any sexual orientation or gender identity.

Carleton University is located on a beautiful campus in the central portion
of Ottawa, bounded by the Rideau River on one side, and the Rideau Canal on
the other. Its prime location -- minutes from downtown, an international
airport, and the Gatineau Hills -- enhances quality of life, and allows for
recreational opportunities for individuals and families. With a population
of almost one million, the city of Ottawa is Canada's capital and reflects
the country's bilingual and multicultural character.

Applications should be submitted to Professor Randall Gess. Letters of
application should be accompanied by a curriculum vitae as well as a
concise dossier that includes written evidence of teaching effectiveness.
Three letters of reference should be sent directly to the Director. The
closing date for receipt of applications, including the letters of
reference, is listed below.

Application Deadline: 16-May-2008
Mailing Address for Applications:
	Dr. Randall Gess