19.1301, Qs: Communication Strategies

Thu Apr 17 15:47:04 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1301. Thu Apr 17 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1301, Qs: Communication Strategies

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 14-Apr-2008
From: Fariza Nor < farizamn at hotmail.com >
Subject: Communication Strategies

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:45:53
From: Fariza Nor [farizamn at hotmail.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1301.html&submissionid=175402&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

I'm currently working on my PhD on Communication Strategies of ESL learners
in spoken interaction. I've a question on this topic:

I used data from audio video taping, field notes (observations),
retrospective interviews (twice, which was held once after I've given the
task to my subjects & the other one after I've transcribed the transcripts
- I also watched the recording with the subjects & showed them the
transcripts during the interview), and questionnaire (given immediately to
the subjects after the task) in order to identify the types of
communication strategies in the data.

Thus, I've used 4 methods to triangulate the data. Is this enough to say
that I'm sure that the strategy identified is the STRATEGY (based on the
description in the taxonomy of communication strategies (I used Dornyei &
Zoltan's taxonomy) and the triangulation method, instead of a different
strategy?

Thank you.
I'm looking forward to any suggestions that would help me clarify this point.

Linguistic Field(s): Discipline of Linguistics