19.1302, Qs: Inflected Numerals

Thu Apr 17 15:58:45 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1302. Thu Apr 17 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1302, Qs: Inflected Numerals

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Catherine Adams <catherin at linguistlist.org>

Date: 15-Apr-2008
From: Huib Kranendonk < huib.kranendonk at let.uu.nl >
Subject: Inflected Numerals

Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2008 11:57:27
From: Huib Kranendonk [huib.kranendonk at let.uu.nl]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1302.html&submissionid=175423&topicid=8&msgnumber=1

Dear all,

In several dialects of Dutch, numerals are inflected when they appear in
ellipsis:

(1)     Ik heb  vier(*e)        boeken
          I have  four(*e)        books

(2)     Ik heb  er      viere
          I have  prt     four-e

This affix never appears in attributive contexts (example (1)), nor when
the numeral is followed by an adjective:

(3)     Ik heb  vier(*e)        groene
          I have  four(*e)        green-e

I would be interested to hear about other languages in which inflection on
numerals is dependent on the syntactic configuration in which they appear.

Thanks a lot in advance,
Huib Kranendonk

Linguistic Field(s): Morphology
                     Syntax