19.1420, FYI: Call for Papers for Book on Scholarly Criticism

Sun Apr 27 16:33:31 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1420. Sun Apr 27 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1420, FYI: Call for Papers for Book on Scholarly Criticism

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Matthew Lahrman <matt at linguistlist.org>

Date: 27-Apr-2008
From: Federico Navarro < federicodanielnavarro at yahoo.com.ar >

Date: Sun, 27 Apr 2008 12:32:09
From: Federico Navarro [federicodanielnavarro at yahoo.com.ar]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1420.html&submissionid=176741&topicid=6&msgnumber=1

Dear Colleagues:

We, Françoise Salager-Meyer (University of the Andes, Mérida, Venezuela),
Beverly A. Lewin and I are interested in co-editing a book on the subject
of scholarly criticism, - i.e., criticism by peers (members of the
discipline) in scientific and academic texts. We would like to invite
researchers in the field to submit an article. If you are doing relevant
research and would like to participate, could you please send us a working
title and an abstract of about 500 words by 1 September?

Please send your proposal to lewinb at hotmail.com

This book is an extension of our interest in the discourse analysis of
scientific texts. It seems that the subject of scholarly criticism is
sometimes overshadowed by a view that stresses the objectivity of science
and the preference for 'politeness'. This view obscures the fact that, in
various disciplines, new/controversial information is suppressed and
'favored' theories are reinforced. In particular, in at least one field,
that of medical discourse, business, competition, and profit influence
rhetorical choices.

This research has implications for knowledge about the construction of
science, and politeness theory, among other subjects.

Some of the questions we would like to address are:

1. is scholarly criticism becoming more or less extensive and subjective
with time?

2. have the types of arguments or evidence changed with time?

3. have linguistic realizations of criticism changed with time?

4. what are the historical, political, economic and social contexts of
scholarly criticism?

5. is the expression of scholarly criticism influenced by

a. choice of language, e.g., Spanish vs. English?
b. genre, e.g., book reviews or letters to the editor?
c. discipline, e.g., sociology or literature,

However, we are open to other questions in this vein.

We are in communication with possible publishers, but their answer is
contingent on some indication of the content of the book. As a possible
timetable, we are thinking of:

Abstract and tentative title by Sept. 1, 2008
Completed articles by Oct. 1, 2009
Publication by Oct. 2010

Thank you in advance.

Sincerely,