19.1439, Jobs: Dutch & Comp Ling: PhD position, University of Groningen

Tue Apr 29 15:50:28 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-1439. Tue Apr 29 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.1439, Jobs: Dutch & Comp Ling: PhD position, University of Groningen

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz <luiza at linguistlist.org>

Date: 28-Apr-2008
From: Wyke van der Meer < w.a.van.der.meer at rug.nl >
Subject: Dutch & Computational Linguistics: PhD position, University of Groningen, Faculty of Arts, Netherlands

Date: Tue, 29 Apr 2008 11:48:57
From: Wyke van der Meer [w.a.van.der.meer at rug.nl]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-1439.html&submissionid=176805&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: University of Groningen, Faculty of Arts
Department: Center for Language and Cognition
Job Location: , Netherlands
Web Address: http://www.rug.nl/let/onderzoek/onderzoekinstituten/clcg/index

Job Rank: PhD position

Specialty Areas: Computational Linguistics

Required Language(s): Dutch (nld)

The university of Groningen, Faculty of Arts, Center for Language and
Cognition, announces the following vacancy:

PhD position in Parse and Corpus based Machine Translation (PaCO-MT) (1,0
fte), Vacancy number 208128

The STEVIN PaCo-MT project aims at developing an open domain hybrid MT
system integrating proper linguistic analysis and syntactic transfer into a
data-driven approach to be used by professional translators. Translation
will be based on transfer (lexical and syntactic) from a parsed source
language sentence into a corresponding target language structure. From this
the final output is generated using information from a large target
language Treebank that will ensure grammaticality and fluency. The MT
application will be developed for the language pairs Dutch<>English and
Dutch<>French. A post editing interface will be provided to adapt the
output to user needs. The Flemish-Dutch consortium consists of two academic
partners (Leuven and Groningen University) and one industrial partner
(Oneliner Language and Business Solutions).

The PhD project within PaCo-MT in Groningen will be focused on building
bilingual resources necessary for our translation approach. In particular,
we will create resources such as translation dictionaries, translation
memories and structure mapping rules. We will emphasize the use of
syntactic annotation (in both, source and target language) in the automatic
extraction of bilingual lexical data and transfer rules. Programming skills
are required and knowledge about SMT and alignment techniques are
definitely a plus.

Requirements:

- MA degree in Computational Linguistics, Computer Science or related field
- knowledge of Dutch, or willingness to learn Dutch
- ability to work together in a project with members from different institutes

Conditions of Employment:

Employment basis: Temporary for specified period.
Duration of the contract: Four years, starting September 1, 2008.
The position requires residence in Groningen, 36 hrs/week research, and
must result in a PhD dissertation. After the first year there will be an
assessment of the candidates results and the progress of the project. Based
on this, it will be decided whether the employment will be continued.  The
University of Groningen offers a salary of € 2000 gross per month in the
first year to €2558 gross per month in the fourth year .

Additional information about the position can be obtained from:

Dr. Jörg Tiedemann, project supervisor
Tel: +31 50 3635935
Email: J.Tiedemann at rug.nl

Application procedure:

You can apply for this vacancy by sending your application to the
application address listed below.

Please include:

- your curriculum vitae
- a copy of your diploma together with a list of grades
- a list of publications (if any)
- a recent publication or your Master's thesis
- letters of two referees

Electronic applications are preferred. Please identify the vacancy Number.

Application Deadline: 01-Jun-2008
	University of Groningen, Personnel and Organization Department
	P.O. Box 72
	Groningen 9700 AB
	Netherlands
Email Address for Applications: vmp at bureau.rug.nl