19.2456, Jobs: General Linguistics: Instructor, Thammasat University

Fri Aug 8 14:09:55 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2456. Fri Aug 08 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2456, Jobs: General Linguistics: Instructor, Thammasat University

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Bethany Townsend <bethany at linguistlist.org>

Date: 07-Aug-2008
From: Cholticha Bamroongraks < choltulg at hotmail.com >
Subject: General Linguistics: Instructor, Thammasat University, Bangkok, Thailand

Date: Fri, 08 Aug 2008 10:07:28
From: Cholticha Bamroongraks [choltulg at hotmail.com]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2456.html&submissionid=186241&topicid=7&msgnumber=1

University or Organization: Thammasat University
Department: Department of Linguistics
Job Location: Bangkok, Thailand
Job Rank: Instructor

Specialty Areas: General Linguistics; Applied Linguistics

The Department of Linguistics, Faculty of Liberal Arts, Thammasat
University in Bangkok, Thailand, currently has three Instructor positions
available.

The first two positions are open to non-Thai nationals with strong academic
records in the fields of General Linguistics or Applied Linguistics. The
starting monthly salary for both positions is 23,370 baht, plus a housing
allowance of 8,000 baht per month. We especially invite applications from
MA or PhD holders who are native speakers of American English, Canadian
English, British English, Australian English, or New Zealand English.

As for the third position, we are looking to hire a Thai national who
graduated with either an MA or a PhD with a specialization in Syntax or
Morphology. The rates of starting salary for MA and PhD holders are 13,450
baht per month and 18,310 baht per month, respectively.

Not only are prospective candidates anticipated to show that they have good
interpersonal and cross-cultural communication skills, they are also
expected to possess an ability to work individually and in a team, and
familiarity with Thai work settings. Successful candidates will teach up to
three courses per semester at both undergraduate and graduate levels, and
will provide assistance in administrative matters and in the editorial team
of the Department's bi-annually published Journal of Language and Linguistics.

Application screening involves document check-up, followed by a
face-to-face or telephone interview (in either case, will be arranged only
at the applicant's own expense). The three positions will remain open until
filled. The starting date of employment is October or November 2008.

Initial enquiries could be made by e-mail or telephone. For ease of filing,
it is recommended that you send an application pack to us in hard copy. To
apply, please send a CV, cover letter, copies of all transcripts and degree
diplomas, copies of sample work, two letters of recommendations written by
past or current employers or thesis supervisors, and two passport photos to
the application address listed below.

E-mail: linguistics at tu.ac.th
Phone: (+66) (0)2 613-2581

Successful candidates are informed that, in addition to a document check-up
and interview, your application will only be finalized on condition that we
receive an evidence of your graduation verification directly from your
university's registrar. We need this proof for all degrees that you hold.

The Department of Linguistics at Thammasat University is the oldest in
Thailand and the only to offer a BA in Linguistics as well as an MA in
Linguistics for Communication and a PhD in Linguistics. Our faculty members
are engaged in teaching and research in the major areas of general and
applied linguistics. The Department also publishes the Journal of Language
and Linguistics. The Journal is the only specialized linguistics
publication of its type in Thailand. It provides a forum for publication of
original articles in any area of language, linguistics and language teaching.

Mailing Address for Applications:
	Dr Cholticha Bamroongraks
	Department of Linguistics, Faculty of Liberal Arts
	Thammasat University
	2 Prachan Road
	Bangkok 10200
	Thailand