19.2636, Confs: General Linguistics;Semantics;Syntax/Germany

Thu Aug 28 20:17:20 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-2636. Thu Aug 28 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.2636, Confs: General Linguistics;Semantics;Syntax/Germany

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Ania Kubisz <ania at linguistlist.org>

Date: 27-Aug-2008
From: Mira Grubic < grubic at ling.uni-potsdam.de >
Subject: Theoretical East Asian Linguistics 5

Date: Thu, 28 Aug 2008 16:12:50
From: Mira Grubic [grubic at ling.uni-potsdam.de]
E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-2636.html&submissionid=188165&topicid=4&msgnumber=1

Theoretical East Asian Linguistics 5
Short Title: TEAL-5

Date: 10-Sep-2008 - 11-Sep-2008
Location: Potsdam, Germany
Contact: Daniel Hole
Contact Email: teal5 at ling.uni-potsdam.de
Meeting URL: http://www.sfb632.uni-potsdam.de/conference/teal-5.pdf

Linguistic Field(s): General Linguistics; Semantics; Syntax

Meeting Description:

We welcome submissions that address problems of East Asian linguistics from a
theoretical perspective. A special session on 'Word-order variation and
universal grammar - areal, dialectal and information-structural perspectives'
will be held on the first day of the workshop. Each paper will be allotted 30
minutes for presentation and 15 minutes for discussion.

Program of the TEAL-5 Workshop

Abstracts and more information can be found on our homepage:
http://www.sfb632.uni-potsdam.de/~teal5/

If you are interested in attending the workshop, please register by sending an
email to teal5_at_ling.uni-potsdam.de. The conference fee is 15.

TEAL-5 is organized by Project A5 of the Collaborative Research Center 632
'Information Structure' funded by the Deutsche Forschungsgemeinschaft.

Day 1: September 10th, 2008

Chinese Syntax:

9.00-9.40 Cheng, Hsiu-Wen Wendy (USC)
Pseudopartitives, DP Internal Structure, and Predicate Inversion

9.40-10.20 Cheng, Hsu-Te Johnny (U Conn)
Numeral Quantifier Floating and the Nature of Phase Edges: Evidence from
Mandarin Chinese

10.40-11.30 Li, Yen-hui Audrey (USC)
True Empty Categories: Interpretation and Representation

11.30-12.10 Tang, Sze-Wing (HK Polytechnic)
A Parametric Analysis of 'True Empty Categories' and its Consequences

12.00-12.50 Su, Yu-Ying Julia (U Toronto)
Deriving counterfactuality in Mandarin Chinese yaobushi conditionals

Historical Syntax:

14.00-14.40 Aldridge, Edith (U Washington)
Phase Theory and Old Chinese Reflexives

14.40-15.20 Paul, Waltraud (CRLAO, EHESS,CNRS)
Chinese diachronic syntax and the uniformitarian principle

Comparatives:

15.40-16.20 Choe, Hyon Sook (Yeungnam U)
Korean clausal comparatives as subcomparatives

16.20-17.00 Kawahara, Koji (York U)
Scope of Comparison

Austronesian Event Structure:

17.10-17.50 Bosse, Solveig & Bruening,Benjamin & Cathcart, Mary Ellen & Cheng,
Kristy & Peng, Anne E. & Yamada, Masahiro (U Delaware)
Bi-eventive Affect

17.50-18.30 Fang, Huilin (Nat. Tsing Hua U)
The Distribution of Applicative Constructions in Saisiyat: I/BV si- and PV-en
structures

Day 2: September 11th, 2008

Information structure, phonology, and alternative semantics:

9.30 -10.10 Ishihara, Shinichiro & Kügler, Frank (U Potsdam)
Duration and F0 Effect of Focus and Givenness in Tokyo Japanese

10.10-10.50 Su, Yu-Ying Julia & An, Duk-Ho(U Toronto)
Emphatic adverbs in Mandarin Chinese at PF

11.10-12.00 Tsai, Wei-Tien Dylan (Nat. Tsing Hua U/Harvard)
On Higher Applicatives: A View from Left Periphery

12.00-12.40 Choi, Jinyoung (U Penn)
How to Derive Free Choiceness in Korean

12.40-13.20 Park, Eun-Hae (U Chicago)
Two Types of -na based Quantifiers in Korean: Amwu-na 'anyone-NA' and Nwukwuna
'who-NA'