19.3671, Support: Semantics: PhD Student, Universitat Pompeu Fabra

Mon Dec 1 17:22:34 UTC 2008

LINGUIST List: Vol-19-3671. Mon Dec 01 2008. ISSN: 1068 - 4875.

Subject: 19.3671, Support: Semantics: PhD Student, Universitat Pompeu Fabra

Reviews: Randall Eggert, U of Utah

Editor for this issue: Luiza Newlin Lukowicz <luiza at linguistlist.org>

Date: 01-Dec-2008
From: Louise McNally < louise.mcnally at upf.edu >
Subject: Semantics: PhD Student, Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona, Spain

Date: Mon, 01 Dec 2008 12:21:31
From: Louise McNally [louise.mcnally at upf.edu]

E-mail this message to a friend:
http://linguistlist.org/issues/emailmessage/verification.cfm?iss=19-3671.html&submissionid=198070&topicid=12&msgnumber=1

Institution/Organization: Universitat Pompeu Fabra
Department: Traducció i Filologia
Web Address: http://www.upf.edu/dtf

Level: PhD

Duties: Project Work

Specialty Areas: Pragmatics; Semantics; Syntax

The Formal Linguistics Group at Universitat Pompeu Fabra, Barcelona has
available one four-year research assistantship for doctoral study associated
with the funded project "Natural Language Ontology and the Semantic
Representation of Abstract Objects."

The basic eligibility requirement is a Bachelor's degree or equivalent by the
end of June 2009. Interest in semantics, the syntax-semantics interface, or
computational semantics
is essential; some prior background would be a plus. Knowledge of Spanish or
Catalan is not required but would be useful.

The scholarship includes a monthly stipend, coverage by the Social Security
system, and university fees related to doctoral study. The assistantship also
includes the possibility of applying for grants for short-term stays abroad.
Annual renewal of the assistantship will depend on successful progress in the
doctoral program and collaboration on the research project.

As the application for these assistantships will be handled through the Spanish
Ministry of  Science and Innovation, individuals who are interested in applying
are advised to contact us for technical assistance with the application process.

For more information please contact Louise McNally (see contact information
below) as soon as possible, and in any case no later than December 15, 2008. The
Ministry deadline
will be in mid-January, but we ask for advance contact so that the documentation
can be properly prepared.

For more information about the Formal Linguistics Group, visit our website.

Application Deadline: 15-Dec-2008

Web Address for Applications: http://www.micinn.es/ciencia/becasfpi

Contact Information:
	Louise McNally